Non-UK Students

Visa Information

If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, the University will provide an electronic CAS statement (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) and you will then be able to begin the visa application process. Please pay special attention to the financial requirements, this has led to several previous students being refused a visa.

Further information about the visa application process is on the City, University of London website and the UK Government website.

Arriving in London

While studying in the UK, all international students will be eligible for healthcare from the National Health Service (NHS). Students on a Tier 4 visa will need to pay a £150 NHS Surcharge as part of their visa application. You should register with a local doctor for all non-emergency treatment once you arrive in the UK. Dependants (spouse and children) of an international student are also eligible for medical care from the National Health Service under the same conditions as a student. You can also locate Dental surgeries which offer subsidised treatment to NHS patients on the following website.

Students of certain nationalities will also need to register their arrival in the UK with the police. Please see the City University website for more details.


Postgraduate University Residences

We currently have rooms reserved for MBA students in Willen House (5 minutes from Cass), iQ City (15 minutes from Cass) and Alliance House (30 minutes from Cass via a direct bus). These residences are owned by private companies but they offer discounted rates to Cass students. Please note that the owners of iQ require students to pay the full hall fees up front unless you have a UK-based guarantor, then you can pay fees in 3 instalments.

The typical tenancy periods begin on 9th September which is the week after the MBA starts. However, the management teams at iQ City will attempt to find an available room so you can move in at the start on September. This is done on an ad-hoc basis and unfortunately there are no guarantees (as this is period they undertake standard building maintenance). Cass MBA students will be given priority for any early rooms. Unfortunately tennants at Willen House will have to make alternative arrangements until 9th September.
Further information is available on our website.

Rooms are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis and we expect iQ City to be the most in-demand of the residences.

You will be sent an email by the accommodation service when we confirm your place, and if you would like to reserve a room, please follow the instructions in the email.

Please also inform the MBA Team of your accommodation application so we can reserve you a room from our own allocation. It is much less likely that your application will be successful if you apply directly to City University without telling us.

Private Accommodation

If you are looking for private rental accommodation, the most commonly used websites are Rightmove and ZooplaThere is some useful information on the City University website.

The main Cass campus is located on the edge of the City of London financial district and close to residential areas such as Old Street, Shoreditch, Angel and Bethnal Green. Rental prices can be quite expensive so students may be able to save money by living outside of the most central neighbourhoods. Transport links to Cass are excellent and we are near Old Street, Moorgate, Barbican and Liverpool Street train stations. If you are unfamiliar with London, you may want to orientate yourself by using a postcode map (we are in the EC1 postcode).

Temporary Accommodation

Some students may want to book temporary accommodation in London before the MBA starts while they search for somewhere permanent to live. There are several hotels near our Bunhill Row campus including "reasonably priced" options such as Travelodge City Road and Easy Hotel on Old Street.

We would also recommend websites such as and Airbnb.

Moving to the UK with a family

As a full-time international student, you can bring your husband, wife, unmarried partner, and children (under 18) to the UK when doing the MBA (or any postgraduate course of 12 months or more). Partners or spouses will be entitled to study or work under the terms of their Tier 4 Dependant Visa.

If you have children of school age (between 5 and 16), they will need to be in full-time education.  Schools run by the government are free but will typically only accept students from the local geographical area. Therefore, it may not be possible to apply for a school place until you have a permanent UK address.

Dependants (spouse and children) of an international student are also eligible for medical care from the National Health Service under the same conditions as a student.

Student Centre at City University

You can find additional resources and information available for both current and incoming students at the City University Student Centre.