Block 1: Business methods and principles
This block consists of the following modules:
Analytics for Business
Quantitative analysis of business data provides a key skill for success in the modern, data rich business environment. This module focuses on some of the most widely used techniques, related to data summary and sampling. The intention is not only to equip you with the practical skills to implement the necessary techniques, but to acquire the skills of discretion in choice of appropriate method and clarity in the interpretation of the output from such methods and extraction of the information of most importance to the business decision maker.
The aim of this module is to introduce you to some of the most important statistical tools used in business analytics, focussing on descriptive and predictive analytics. The focus is on application and interpretation of the tools and results.
- Develop analytical skills in structuring and analysing business decision problems.
- Build analytical models for a variety of problems in a number of functional areas.
- Understand usefulness and limitation of selected techniques.
- Use software to generate computer solutions of the models.
- Demonstrate skills in interpreting the business significance and communicating the analysis and results of business decision problems.
Investigating the relevance and application of organisational behaviour and the factors which cause organisational difficulties. The module will strengthen your understanding of and responses to these complex issues in the workplace.
- Understanding the relevance of people issues, cross-cultural dimensions and how they apply to leadership and organisation
- Understanding the difference between organic and mechanistic forms of organisation
- Understanding the relevance of perception to management
- Being able to carry out a stakeholder and 7-S analysis
- Understanding the psychological contract
- Being aware of different leadership styles together with their potential strengths and theories
- Understanding how power and conflict affect organisations
- Analysing team strengths and weaknesses
- Being able to apply a range of organisational behaviour concepts in change management.
An introduction to marketing. You will learn about its relevance to the process of creating and managing customer-led-organisations, and about the usefulness of market analysis and marketing management.
- Understanding marketing as a process, function and philosophy
- Appreciating marketing's importance in creating competitive advantage
- Understanding and applying tools, techniques and the elements of the marketing mix
- Appreciating the challenges of marketing decision-making in a competitive environment
- Contributing to team performance through analytical and decision-making exercises.