Core block 2
Analytics for Business
Quantitative analysis of business data provides a key skill for success in the modern, data rich business environment. This module focuses on some of the most widely used techniques, related to data summary and sampling. The intention is not only to equip you with the practical skills to implement the necessary techniques, but to acquire the skills of discretion in choice of appropriate method and clarity in the interpretation of the output from such methods and extraction of the information of most importance to the business decision maker.
The aim of this module is to introduce you to some of the most important statistical tools used in business analytics, focussing on descriptive and predictive analytics. The focus is on application and interpretation of the tools and results.
- Develop analytical skills in structuring and analysing business decision problems.
- Build analytical models for a variety of problems in a number of functional areas.
- Understand usefulness and limitation of selected techniques.
- Use software to generate computer solutions of the models.
- Demonstrate skills in interpreting the business significance and communicating the analysis and results of business decision problems.
Digital Tech & Business Innovation
The Digital Technologies and Business Innovation component of this module explores the impact of new powerful digital technologies on the way businesses are organized and compete.
- How developments in digital technologies are altering organizational processes and the business model across several industries
- Rapidly evolving opportunities and challenges, including the ethical issues that organizations and managers face when confronted with these developments
- Managerial knowledge and skills necessary to deal effectively with these opportunities and challenges in the evolving digital landscape
- Integrating business and technology
- Digital technologies and business processes
- Digital technologies and knowledge processes
- Digital business models
- Big data and analytics
- Frontiers of sourcing
The module relies on a combination of lectures, case discussions and Special Interest Groups in which participants research emerging topics and demonstrate how they will impact industries and the organizations operating in them in the near future.
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Enables you to read and understand financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows, and statement of changes in shareholders’ equity) as this is a fundamental skill for an effective manager in today’s business environment. Provides you with an understanding of the content, application and analysis of published financial reports and those prepared for internal management information purposes.
- Accounting as an information system
- The main financial statements
- A basic framework for the analysis of published financial reports
- Financial information for management decision making.
Strategic management is the practice and theory of making decisions that shape the future of the firm. This module looks at the content and process of strategic decision making from the perspective of managers who are responsible for an entire business unit.
- To introduce you to the analysis of business and corporate strategy
- To illustrate how firms gain and defend competitive advantages in the market place
- To provide a sound understanding of the factors that play a crucial role in strategic decision making.
Strategic management is the practice and theory of making decisions that shape the future of the firm. This module looks at the content and process of strategic decision making from the perspective of managers who are responsible for an entire business unit. These may be individuals who are acting in the capacity of the Chief Executive of a company, or the General Manager of a division, or the head of a department. It is also the perspective most often expected from holders of MBA degrees, since MBAs are among the few professionals in an organisation that must deal with business situations from a wide range of perspectives.
- Conduct industry analysis
- Understand resource based theory
- Understand dynamic capabilities theory
- Understand emergent and deliberate strategy formation
- Understand strategic change.
Continuing professional development
The Continued Professional Development (CPD) programme runs across Blocks 1 and 2 for sustained career support. To offer you a broad range of CPD skills, the programme will include the online Mathematics for Managers pre-programme module and the Business Academic Writing module.
This course will provide a number of skills to help your personal and professional development within your organisation.
The aims of the course are to provide some core compulsory skills as part of induction and then you will engage in further CPD courses across the programme.
- Achieve a higher level of self-awareness in relation to your interaction with others
- Understand your interpersonal and leadership styles in more depth
- Use argument and evidence
- Use the skills learnt to further your career path
- Use the skills learnt within the workplace
- Understand the importance of Continuing Professional Development
- Demonstrate the professional skills acquired
- Realise the extent and limitations of your skill base.