Is there an application fee?

There is no application fee for any of our MSc courses.

Is it necessary for candidates whose first language is not English to take a language exam?

In order to meet the academic requirements for the MSc course and participate fully in our collaborative learning process, applicants should have achieved one of the following: a well-balanced score of at least 7.0 in the IELTS Academic (with a minimum of 6.5 in the writing section), or at least 68 in the Pearson PTE Academic (with a minimum of 60 in the writing section), or a well-balanced overall score of 104 in TOEFL iBT (with at least 25 in the writing section). The only exceptions are when:

1. You successfully completed at least 3 years of degree level studies (RQF6 or higher) at an Institution in the UK

2. You successfully completed at least 3 years of degree level studies (bachelor’s or higher) taught in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration

3. You are a national of an English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration.

If one of the above applies to you, it is unlikely you will need to take an English language proficiency test, although the final decision will be at the discretion of the admissions panel. In these circumstances, please submit a copy of your most recent English language test/qualification with your application.

We do not offer nor accept a pre-sessional English class as an alternative to the listed English tests. Any pre-sessional course should be viewed as an aid to living and studying in the UK and not as a way of topping up an IELTS/PTE score.

Please note, the admissions panel can review applications before receiving proof of English language proficiency. If you were to receive an offer of study, this would always be conditional upon meeting our English language requirements.

Is there an application deadline?

We operate on a rolling admissions basis and close the Masters courses when they are full. Some courses close as early as the beginning of May so early application is recommended. Imminent course closures will be notified on the website.

How many contact hours will I have a week?

On most full-time courses, there are usually up to 21 contact hours per week. For each lecture you attend, we anticipate that you will have to do another three to four hours of self-study. Part-time students attend a minimum of six hours per week; this may increase if we have international academics or industry professionals visiting and depending on which electives you choose.

For MSc Actuarial Science and MSc Actuarial Management there are 21 50-minute lectures each week in terms one and two.

Do I need a GMAT score?

We highly recommend GMAT for applications to all our Finance-related courses, in particular the MSc in Finance, and also the MSc in Management. For more detailed guidance, please visit our blog post on the GMAT.

Is there an interview?

If the Course Director feels that an interview is required we will contact you.

Do I need work experience?

Please refer to individual course information pages on the website. In general, work experience is seen as an advantage (where relevant, national service is also taken into account).

Can I get any help with funding?

Please refer to the section entitled Funding your study.

How long will it take to receive a decision on my application?

We endeavour to make a decision within six weeks. Please note that all official correspondence (i.e. offer letters) will be sent by email. Please ensure you supply an up-to-date email address when applying and check it regularly throughout the process.

Can I apply before I have my final degree results?

You can apply before you have your final degree results but we will require an interim transcript showing your grades to date. We may then make you a conditional offer. If you are made an offer, we would then need to see the original or certified copy of the final transcript in order to upgrade your offer to unconditional.

What is an interim degree transcript?

A degree transcript is the document that lays out each of your modules and the grade you have achieved for each one. If you have not yet completed your degree, an interim transcript will show the grades of all your modules taken to date. If you are still undertaking your Bachelors degree studies, you should provide a separate list of the modules that you are undertaking in your final year of study when you submit your application (if these are not listed on your degree transcripts). We must be in receipt of this document before we can make a decision on your application.

Do I need to send translated copies of my documents?

Yes, if your documents are not in English, you need to provide original translated copies certified by a legal authority, e.g. the British Council or an Official/ a certified translator.

Do I need to provide original documents?

The scanned copies of your documents would be fine for the application stage, if an offer is made, then the original or certified hard copies and/or secure electronic transcript/documents (where available) will be requested.

What is an original document and a certified copy of a document?

The original document will be the document issued by your university and will have a stamp, seal or other security mark to confirm its authenticity. An original document is NOT a scanned copy or photocopy of the original.

A certified copy of a document is a photocopy that has been stamped/signed and verified as a true copy of the original by the issuing institution, a legal authority or, in the case of translated documents, the British Council. All original documents and certified copies must be received as a hard copy by post.

What is a secure electronic transcript?

An electronic transcript is an official University/Institution document delivered to the nominated recipient’s email electronically over a secure network/portal. Such document is certified by a digital signature and contains special security characteristics.

The nominated recipient (e.g. Admissions Officer, Employer, etc.) will receive instructions on how to authenticate the official electronic transcript, including necessary steps to acquire an access code to view and print the transcript.

Who should my letters of recommendation be from and how should I provide them?

For detailed guidance on references please visit our admissions blog.

Do I have to write a dissertation?

This depends on which course you study. Some courses have a compulsory Business Research Project whilst some give you the option of electives or a project. Check the course listings for details.

Can I apply for more than one course?

When you fill in the online application form you will be given the opportunity to indicate a second and third choice course, in order of preference. If your application is not successful for your first choice course, your application will be passed to your second choice for consideration. The same application form and supporting documents will be used for all courses. Please do not complete and submit a separate application form for each course option that interests you, as this will cause delays in processing your application.

When is the course start date?

Please see the 'Tuition Fees and Term Dates' section within the course information pages on our website for details of the course start dates.

Do I need to write a personal statement when I apply?

Yes, you will be asked to submit a personal statement when you apply online. For detailed guidance on writing your personal statement, please see our Admissions Blog.

How many ECTS points is the Masters course worth?

Each MSc course is worth between 180 - 210 CAPS credits. Each CAPS credit equals 0.5 of an ECTS credit.

Which MSc programme should I do?

An MSc programme you choose to study will entirely depend on your personal interest and careers goal. We would advise you to visit our website where you can find the specifications for all of our programmes and to decide which one is suitable for you.

What job opportunities are available on the completion of a Master's programme?

Graduates of our MSc courses go on to work in a wide range of fields and careers. For more information see 'career opportunities' for each course. Careers advice and opportunities can be found at the Cass Careers Service.

How many intakes do MSc programmes have per year?

All MSc Programmes offered at Cass have a single intake per year in September except the 'fast track' Insurance and Risk Management course which has a January intake.

Is it possible to defer my place to the following academic year?

Requesting a deferral is a possibility. Please write to your Admissions Officer and state your reasons for wishing to defer. Once the deferral has been considered, the Admissions Officer will let you know the outcome of the request.

Do I need to provide details of high school education? What are O and A levels?

It is useful to provide details of your high school education in the application form, and it is essential you include this information if applying for one of our Actuarial programmes.

In the British education system O and A levels are school leaving qualifications. Candidates are usually 16 years old when they take O levels/GCSEs. A levels are normally taken at 18 years old and are considered to be university entrance exams. If you have not studied these qualifications, please give details in the relevant section of the application form of your secondary/high school qualifications, including subjects taken and grades awarded.

What documents to upload in the 'Professional Qualification' field?

You would need to upload evidence of any professional qualifications/examinations/exemptions/passes you have achieved that is relevant to the course you are applying for. Professional qualifications are mostly 'Chartered' qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, CISI, ACII, ACMA.