Articles from Cass Knowledge

Preparing for your visa application

With summer approaching, now is a good time to start thinking about visa application.

Check the guidance

If you are an international student who requires a Student visa in order to study in the UK, we strongly recommend that you read the City, University of London guidance on how to apply for a visa. It is very important that you read the guidance carefully, particularly the section on what documents are needed and the funds you are required to show, in order to ensure that your visa application process goes smoothly.

To find out if you require a visa to study in the UK, please check here.

The EU Settlement Scheme

Please note that if you are an EEA national and live in the UK already, or arrived to the UK before 31st December 2020 to set up residency, you may qualify for the EU Settlement Scheme, which you must apply to by 30th June 2021 at the latest, if not already. If you don’t meet the EU Settlement Scheme UK residency requirement, you would need to apply for Student Visa.

More information can be found here.

Requesting your Certificate of Acceptance for Studies

Although it is never too early to start preparing for your visa application, especially if your offer is still conditional, only applicants whose offer is unconditional and who require a student visa can request a CAS - Certificate of Acceptance for Studies, which is needed to apply for the visa. Once you have met the conditions of your offer and it is upgraded to unconditional, in due course, you will receive an email from MSc Admissions Office advising you of next steps, including a link to request your CAS. The University will start issuing CAS statements from June onwards.

Finally, once you have received your CAS and have all the necessary evidence in place, please do not delay your visa application. For a rough estimate of how long it may take for a decision to be made on your visa application please visit the Home Office website. Please note that many visa application centres become very busy or offer restricted services over the summer period. If you require a Student visa, you will not be able to start on campus studies in London without evidence of a City, University of London sponsored Student visa.

If you have any questions or concerns about your particular situation, please feel free to contact our International Student Advice Team on They will also run a series of visa application related webinars throughout the summer.

Good luck and we look forward to welcoming you in September!