Professional Development Programme for Aspiring Non-Executive Directors
Dates: 3 April 2019
Duration: 1 day
Fee: £995 (no VAT is charged) Includes all meals, refreshments and programme materials
Faculty: Dr. Alessandro Giudici
Find out more
The role of a Non-Executive Director (NED) is prestigious and wide-ranging, from the membership and chairing of committees to the overall chairmanship of a company, charged with steering company strategy. It comes with serious responsibilities and accountabilities within a complex and uncertain business environment that carries significant reputational risk. Despite this, company induction programmes for NEDs tend to be organisation-specific and may not cover the wider issues of board life. Delivered in partnership with PwC, this programme fills these gaps with a unique masterclass for aspiring NEDs.
Who is the programme for?
The programme is designed for individuals who are aspiring to become NEDs on FTSE 350 (or equivalent) company boards such as those who currently have an executive role at a FTSE 350 company or equivalent experience. Individuals in the broader talent development pool who would benefit from having a window on the board will also benefit from this programme.
Focus and structure
The programme covers essential knowledge about roles, responsibilities, strategy and corporate governance that are key foundations for a board role. It also considers the wider board ecosystem, its structures and key players. In addition, the masterclass includes practical sessions about identifying NED opportunities, the process of obtaining a first appointment and performing due diligence before accepting a new position. There is emphasis on the importance of presenting your experiences with clarity and relevance.
Subjects covered include:
- key responsibilities for NEDs
- an overview of the board ecosystem
- corporate governance
- and managing risk.
The programme also covers the practicalities of entering the NED world, including the roles that are available.
- Understand the important role boards play in corporate life
- Understand the importance of strategic direction and corporate governance
- Gain insights into the contribution expected from NEDs as independent and external to the management of companies
- Appreciate how group dynamics can influence decision making
- Unravel the complexities of effective board membership
- Plan and prepare for your first move into the board arena