Have you just completed or are you about to complete your Series A funding round? Power Up will help you and your founding team scale up!
Dates: 12 - 13, 26 - 27 March | 9 -10, 23 - 24 April | 7 - 8, 21 - 22 May | 4 - 5 June 2021
Format: 14 days | 09:00 - 17:30 | Virtual online delivery
Costs: Full programme fee - £7,000 | Individual session attendance - £600 per person per day | no VAT is charged (discounts available for multiple bookings)
We know that the scaleup phase is typically the one that can bring the most challenges. This is why we created Power Up!: a highly experiential programme designed and delivered by our Business School world-class faculty, accomplished entrepreneurs and senior talent from some of the world’s most successful firms. They will help you and your founding team to develop a credible plan and equip you with the right knowledge, mindset and toolkits to lead you to your next important milestone.
- The programme is delivered in blocks of 2 days per week, over a few weeks (allowing time to learn and reflect between teaching days)
- We encourage you to attend the full 14-day programme; but the option of attending individual days is also available
- 09:00 – 17:30 (virtual online delivery, with face-to-face elements planned at our London Executive campus if COVID-19 government restrictions allow)
- Each day is composed of four 90-minute teaching blocks
- Lots of opportunities to interact with faculty, guest speakers, other attendees and mentors.
- Learn from expert academics (and real pros!) using real-life scenarios. The programme is taught by world-class faculty who leverage their considerable research in successfully scaling ventures and accomplished entrepreneurs and leading executives who have gone through all this before
- You will come away with a science-based and practical toolbox of documents and best practices: processes, trackers, templates, etc. that you will integrate into your work
- Network with and learn from other entrepreneurs’ experiences.
"Join a small, carefully selected cohort of entrepreneurs and decision-makers, acquire new insights and toolkits through leading faculty and experienced entrepreneurs and create your own expansion plans."
Aurore Hochard, Head of Entrepreneurship Programmes, The Business School
Is your business eligible?
If a lot of founders fail after raising an A, successful founders understand the need to create a clear plan on how they will grow their company, who they need to hire to help them build their product, scale up their operations, build a strong business culture, run their boards effectively, etc. For this reason, it is vital for scaleups to have the right level of support and the right network to work through and overcome whatever issues they face during this important business phase.
- You are a promising scale up registered in the UK
- You have secured a minimum of £1 million in seed round(s)
- You are currently raising (or have just completed) your Series A funding round
- You are looking to significantly increase your team size, grow your customer base and expand in the UK and/or abroad
We understand that time is money. Whilst we believe that the whole programme is valuable to any CEO and founding team looking to step up their game, it may not be possible for all of them to attend the 14-day programme entirely. This is why we’re offering each participating company the flexibility to send more than one employee to attend the programme. Please get in touch to discuss further.
- Professor Costas Andriopoulos
- Professor Cliff Oswick
- Zoe Peden
- Dr Alessandro Giudici
- Dr Paolo Aversa
- Deana Murfitt
- Dr Aneesh Banerjee
- Dr Dimitris Paraskevopoulos
- Xavier Louis
- Lucy Woolfenden
- Professor Scott Moeller
*Faculty subject to change
You will join other fast-growth companies during this intensive programme to:
- Learn how to best handle the rollercoaster ride of scaling up by navigating challenges, including developing leadership skills, building a growth culture, optimising sales and hiring people, through hands-on learning experiences and practical case studies
- Improve your skills in accelerating the growth of your venture and compare best practices
- Question your assumptions, discuss issues around scaling and get inspired.
What do the workshops cover?*
Leadership shift in a scale up: from doing to managing (2 days)
- Brand new You: transitioning from founder to CEO (changing your leadership style as the company grows)
- Transitioning from founder to CEO (learn how to effectively delegate tasks and trust your team)
- Reviewing and Improving your decision-making process: Learn about the common cognitive traps that bias CEOs’ decision-making and strategic thinking and how to overcome cognitive traps by using design thinking and scenario planning
- Focusing on higher-level vision by putting senior-level managers in place to handle operations
- Identifying your scale up's Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Adapting your board for scale and exit (learn how to build the board and manage your investors over the path to growth or exit)
- Leadership Challenges: Difficult conversations
Invest in the right infrastructure (but don’t get too carried away!)
- Breaking down and managing the different teams: learn when to hire functional experts, how to manage the transition from employees who are generalists to domain experts, while you preserve the culture
- Automating standardized and repeatable processes
- Agile production and distribution
- Balancing outsourcing and in-house resources
Scaling your team: Hiring the right staff, fire the wrong ones
- Attracting and retaining talent
- How to foster and maintain an entrepreneurial culture
- Managing teams and handling conflicts (facilitated discussion on team dynamics, accomodating differences in teams and dealing with conflicts)
- You're Fired!
- Avoiding burnout and focusing on well-being
Strategy and competitive advantage: preparing for superior performance
- Think big and forward: understanding and delivering strategy
- Where to compete: understanding and analyzing industry dynamics
- How to compete: competitive dynamics and baseline strategies
- Learning from the Great Strategy Leaders: Case discussion with high-profile guest speakers
Business models: Creating and capturing value in a digital world
- Know what you do: understanding your business model and how you should communicate it
- Business model innovation: renewing customer engagement while fuelling growth
- Business model diversification: how to run multiple business models in tandem
- Learning from the Great Strategy Leaders: Case discussion with high-profile guest speakers
Understanding the Capitalization Journey of High Growth Companies
- Understanding the equity funding journey beyond Series A, the benchmarks, valuations and capital requirements. The VC approach and how viability is assessed. Getting into the mind of the venture capitalist.
- Understanding finance capitalisation of high growth journey. Financing growth through debt products and how they accelerate growth. Case study on Venture Debt and how this fits with equity raises.
- Re-engineering financial modelling for high growth companies, running scenarios with both equity and debt and understanding the journey from start-up to exit. Case study Saas growth story and the financial tools used from Seed to exit. The levers we have when we think of growth and the way we capitalise companies.
- Investment Readiness and preparing for the transition into High Growth Mode, understanding the space for non-dilutive finance and the way companies are assessed, alternative sources of capital (family offices, corporates and public capital roles)
Get out: Planning for exit
- Ambition, motivations and longer-term planning: What do you want for the business? What do you want from an exit? When?
- Dual Track? Trade Sale / Private Equity or IPO: Who are the potential buyers? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each exit option?
Why you (probably) should not trust your gut: Data driven decision making
- When to use data driven decisions over ‘Gut feeling’? - Pitfalls of using only gut feel, limitations of using only data, understanding the trade-offs, developing a mindset to optimize the impact from data, practical scenario-based discussion on effective techniques, costs, time, and outcomes.
- Designing effective data collection techniques - Most common data collection techniques – advantages and limitations, most common and effective designs, advanced designs, experiments, conjoint techniques, online data collection, analysis, and interpretation.
- Moving from data to insights - Data as evidence or data as a framework for decisions, decision trees, predictive analytics, machine learning systems
- Value engineering from investments in data - What is the value in data, emerging business models, a framework to Define – Assess – Deliver value from investments in data.
Big Data and Machine Learning
- The role of Big Data in the modern world. Case studies and examples from various industries to answer the following question: would there be any business without the maths?
- The usefulness of Clustering – why do we need to cluster and hands-on activities. A case study from NY Medicaid’s programme- how do we identify fraud in banking and other sectors?
- Recommendation systems: The essential component of every online-based shop/service. Examples from Netflix and Amazon
- Classification: Is a new customer going to default or not? Should we give them a loan or not? Credit risk via machine learning. Is an employee or a customer going to churn?
- Association Rules: Unsupervised machine learning methods to answer market basket analysis questions and predict fraud, diseases and customer preferences
Marketing (I) - Pricing for Success
- How to estimate your unit economics
- What is the Customer Life Value and how to measure it
- Price testing: Are your prices still in-line with the market?
- Pricing strategies and methods (Loyalty pricing, Upselling)
Marketing (II): Secrets of persuasion
- Scaling up through effective marketing (content marketing)
- Scaling up through effective marketing (social media and influencer marketing)
- Enhancing your Reputation/Brand
Aligning sales and marketing activities for optimized growth focus. Marketing, more revenue centers; less cost centers
- Product-Market check and expanding to new markets
- Scaling your sales
- Growing profits through customer retention and referrals
- Tightening your marketing metrics
Grow the top line. Fast. (B2B)
- Prospecting and pitching to a Fortune 500 company
- Assembling your pitch deck and pitch
*Workshop content subject to change
To find out more about the programme and to discuss the discounts on offer, please contact:
Head of Entrepreneurship Programmes
The Business School (formerly Cass)
106 Bunhill Row
London EC1Y 8TZ