I am a visiting lecturer and PhD Fellow at Cass Business School. My research focuses on how an individual contends concurrently the roles of leader and follower. My dissertation: 'Pulled in Two Directions. A Leader to Some and a Follower to Others' explores this phenomenon through three studies.
- The first study is a theoretical paper (Best Paper, OMT Division, Academy of Management 2017).
- The second paper is a longitudinal inductive study of a top intact team during strategic change, in which I explore the leadership narratives of the senior managers, 'stuck in the middle', followers to the top manager, and leaders to the middle managers.
- The third paper is longitudinal inductive study during a period of lay offs, in which I explore the leadership narratives of middle managers, who need to make redundant their subordinates, following the directives of the senior managers.
I am a passionate teacher, I teach the Leadership and Followership Module (MBA), and Leadership for Entrepreneurial Teams Module (MSc Entrepreneurship), at Cass Business School, and Organisational Behaviour, and Leadership at London School of Economics (Undergrad).
Prior to becoming an academic I had a 15 year career in finance, where I worked at JP Morgan, SG and Barclays in management roles.
- PhD (expected 2018), Cass Business School, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2015 – Sep 2018
- MRes, Cass Business School, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2014 – Sep 2015
- MSc Organisational Behaviour, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom, Sep 2011 – Sep 2012
- BA Political Science and Economics, Universitá di Padova, Italy, Sep 1992 – Feb 1997
- Visiting Lecturer, City, University of London, Sep 2016 – present
- Guest Teacher, London School of Economics and Political Science, Sep 2015 – present
- Director, Barclays Bank, May 2005 – Jul 2011
- Vice President, Societé Generale, Mar 2005 – May 2007
- Vice President, JP Morgan, Oct 1997 – Mar 2005
Memberships of professional organisations
- Associate Fellow Higher Education Academy, May 2017 – present
- Academy of Management
English and Italian.
- Jaser, Z. (2017). Pulled in Two Directions. Being in Concert a Leader to Some and a Follower to Others. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2017(1), pp. 16660–16660. doi:10.5465/AMBPP.2017.107.
- Jaser, Post-truth leaders are all about their followers.
- Spicer, A., Lindley, D., Gond, J.P., Mosonyi, S., Jaser, Z., Marti, E. … Edwards, A. (2016). Cultural change in the FCA, PRA & Bank of England: Practising what they preach? London: New City Agenda/Cass Business School.
Working papers (4)
- Jaser, Z. (2017). Embodying the roles of a leader and a follower. Processes of sensegivng and sensemaking in the hierarchical triad. British Academy of Management, Warwick University, 2017
- Jaser, (2017). Being a leader and a follower. A study of hierarchical triads. Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Leadership Symposium, Mykonos, Greece, 2017
- Jaser, (2016). What about Followership Development? Developing Managers in the Presence of the Janus Paradox. EGOS, Naples, 2016
- Jaser, (2015). Followers Who Do Not Need a Leader. Developing Followers’ Service Behaviour The Role of Followers Perceptions of Leader Support and Fairness. 7th Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Henley Business School, 2015