Yousaf Nishat-Botero is a PhD Fellow at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass – City, University of London). Before joining Bayes, he received an MA from the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy (Kingston University), with a dissertation on Jacques Lacan's 'The Function and Field of Speech and Language in Psychoanalysis' (1953). Working at the intersections of organization studies, critical theory, and political economy, his PhD research focuses on questions of democratic public planning and alternative organizing. During his time at City, he has also been a graduate teaching assistant for introductory courses on organisational behaviour and on critical thinking. Since 2021, Yousaf has been a member of the editorial collective at ephemera, which is an independent and open access journal on theory and politics in organization.
Supervisors: Professor Hugh Willmott and Professor André Spicer
- MA, Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy, Kingston University, UK, Jan 2018
- BS, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, USA, Jan 2012
Memberships of professional organisations
- Academy of Management (AOM), Critical Management Studies Division, Aug 2020 – present
- European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS), Jun 2020 – present
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read, speak and understand spoken), Spanish - Latin American (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Urdu (can speak and understand spoken).
- Critical Management Studies
- Economic History
- Industrial Relations/Labour Studies
- Organization Theory
- Public Sector Management
- Professor Hugh Willmott, Professor of Management and Organization Studies
- Professor André Spicer, Head of Faculty of Management; Professor of Organisational Behaviour
Editorial activity (3)
- Ephemera Journal, Member of the editorial collective, Jun 2021 – present.
- Academy of Management Conference, Reviewer, Critical Management Studies Division, Jan 2021 – present.
- Organization Studies, Reviewer, Mar 2020 – present.
- 37th EGOS Colloquium - Organizing for an Inclusive Society: Meanings, Motivations, and Mechanisms. (Conference) Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam (Virtual) (2021). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: Economic planning and organization studies
Author: Nishat-Botero, Y.
Description: Sub-theme 33: Historical Organization Studies in Action
- Ephemera Journal – Activist organizing & organizing activism: A post-pandemic world in the making. (Conference) Virtual (2021). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: Planning for Alternatives
Author: Nishat-Botero, Y.
Description: Paper Session: Organizing Democracy & The State
- Critical Management Studies, International PhD Course, Lund University (May 2021).
- Paper Development Workshop, Organization Theory (Journal), 2nd Winter Workshop (Feb 2021).