Rob Roy is vice president of investments and chief investment officer for Adventist Health System. In this role, he oversees investments for one of the nation’s largest faith-based health systems, which include operating capital and employee retirement portfolios totaling approximately $14 billion.
Roy, who has 30 years of institutional investment experience, oversees a 10-person investment team that internally manages over half of the organization’s operating capital. He has dedicated 15 years to supporting Adventist Health System’s mission of Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ, during which time he has played a lead role in the development of the organization’s investment philosophy and process, created to reinforce its core values and principles. This philosophy, called “stewardship alpha,” describes the process by which the organization builds its investment portfolios to be sensible, efficient, and robust.
Prior to his current role, Roy previously served Adventist Health System as director of cash and investments. His other experience includes holding the position of chief investment officer for Cain Brothers Asset Management, bond trader for Putnam Investments, fixed income specialist on the floors of the Chicago Board of Trade and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and portfolio risk manager for Ferrell Capital.
Roy earned a master’s degree in financial markets and trading from the Illinois Institute of Technology, and bachelor’s degrees in both finance from Suffolk University and applied mathematics from Southern New Hampshire University.
He currently serves as chairman of the Adventist Health System Employee Plan Investment Committee and serves on the finance and investment committee of the Adventist Health Care Retirement Plan. In addition, he serves on the Institutional Investor’s Defined Contribution Institute Advisory Board as well as the Board of Advisors for the Crummer Graduate School of Business at Rollins College.
In 2016, Roy won the Mission and Thought Leadership Award from Institutional Investor, a leading international business to business publisher, focused primarily on international finance.
- BS - Applied Mathematics, Southern New Hampshire University, United States, Jan 2015 – Jan 2017
- Master of Science - Financial Markets & Trading, Illinois Institute of Technology, United States, Jan 1995 – Jan 1997
- BS - Finance, Suffolk University, United States, Jan 1989 – Jan 1992
- Vice President - Chief Investment Officer, Adventist Health System, Jan 2013 – present
- Americas - North
- Professor Stephen Thomas, Professor of Finance
- Dr Nick Motson, Associate Dean MSc Programme
- Global ARC. (Conference) Boston, USA (2018). Panel Member. Invited speaker.
- NMS Fall Forum. (Conference) Washington, DC (2018). Session/Day Chair, Organising Committee and Panel Member. Invited speaker.
Paper: The Power of Stewardship Alpha
Author: Roy, R.