Debjyoti Chakravorty is a PhD candidate in Management (Organizational Behaviour) at Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), City University of London.
Debjyoti’s research interests lie in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A), Post-Merger Integration (PMI), and Change Management. His PhD research, supervised by Professor Laura Empson, focuses on the human aspects of M&As in the context of knowledge-intensive professional and financial service firms. By longitudinally analyzing M&A deal(s) in the UK professional services sector through interviews and ethnography, his research explores employees’ varying emotions and behaviours over the course of the PMI process, and how M&A leaders manage their subordinates’ negative emotions and persuade them to share their specialist knowledge and client relationships with new colleagues post-M&A – to facilitate knowledge and human integration.
Additionally, Debjyoti has a keen interest in M&As from a Strategic Management perspective. Drawing on theories from Cognitive Psychology, he aims to explore behavioural biases in M&A decision-making, and how managers can learn to better manage the M&A process strategically from prior acquisitions. In this context, Debjyoti is particularly interested in studying the role of dedicated M&A functions/departments within firms in improving subsequent acquisition performances through deliberate organizational learning. Outside academia, he has ~2.5 years of industry experience in Strategy & Operations Consulting and M&A Advisory with Deloitte and PwC India respectively.
- Research Master Business & Management (Strategy), Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, Sep 2018 – Sep 2020
- M.Sc Banking & Finance, School of Economics and Finance, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2013 – Dec 2014
- B.Com Honours Accounting & Finance, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), Kolkata, India, Jul 2009 – Dec 2012
- PhD Candidate in Management (Organizational Behaviour), Bayes Business School (formerly Cass), City University London, Sep 2020 – Aug 2024
- Research Assistant, Department of Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship, Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Sep 2019 – Sep 2020
- Analyst, Finance Transformation (Strategy & Operations Consulting), Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP, Sep 2015 – Sep 2017
- Associate, Deals & Consulting - M&A, Transaction Services (Advisory), PwC India, May – Aug 2015
Memberships of professional organisations
- Researcher, Bayes Business School (formerly Cass) Centre for Professional Service Firms, Sep 2020 – present
- The Business School (formerly Cass), City University of London (2020) Doctoral Fellowship, PhD in Management
4-year Doctoral Fellowship comprising full tuition fees and maintenance grants of £16,057 per year
- Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University Rotterdam (2018) Full Doctoral Scholarship, Research Master in Business & Management (Value €45,500)
Tuition fee waivers for academic years 2018-19 & 2019-20, and Doctoral Scholarship of €10,000 towards living expenses
Bengali (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), Dutch; Flemish (can read, speak and understand spoken), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Hindi (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Change Management
- Knowledge & Learning
- Knowledge Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Organizational Behaviour
- Strategic Management
- financial services
- professional services
- Europe - Western
The Role of Leadership in Post-Merger Human Integration: A Longitudinal Analysis of a Merger in the UK Professional Services Sector
Supervisor - Professor Laura Empson