My area of expertise is digital technology. My background is industrial R&D and I worked for the Israel Aerospace Industry, HP Labs and about ten years for IBM Research. I did R&D work on navigation systems, processor diagnostics and processor design verification. I co-authored patents and research papers in the areas of Computer Aided Design and Applied Artificial Intelligence (which are not included in the publications pages here).
Currently, I participate in research about business models of the digital economy
(http://businessmodelzoo.com/). I am using ideas about Information Commons and about Digital Materiality to analyse business models related to mobile apps and the Internet of Things with specific work on the digitalization of cars.
Previously, I studied the economic aspects of software development. I analysed contractual mechanisms aiming at mitigating risks related to software's intangible and malleable nature. I co-authored papers published in the top academic journals in this area.
I also taught at several business schools. I was one of the first to teach Economics of Information Goods, in 2001 at University College Dublin. I also taught innovation management, quantitative methods, information systems, and software design.
PhD (Information Systems), MSc (Computer Science) and BSc (Computer Science).
- Business Models
- Digital Economy
- Innovation & Creativity
- Lichtenstein, , Gander, J. and Zhang, J.J. (2015). Designing Scalable Digital Business Models. In Baden-Fuller, C. and Mangematin, V. (Eds.), Advances in Strategic Management Emeraldinsight. ISBN 978-1-78560-463-8.
Conference papers and proceedings (6)
- Lichtenstein, , Gander, J. and Zhang, J. (2017). Scale, Scope and Speed: business model design decisions in digital fashion start-ups. European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium.
- Lichtenstein, , Zhang, J. and Gander, J. (2014). Scalability in Big Data Business Models. European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium.
- Lichtenstein, , Zhang, J. and Gander, J. (2013). Big Data Business Models: Exploring Business Model Choices in an Embryonic Industry. European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium.
- Lichtenstein, , Ginzburg, I. and Saar, S. (2011). Aligning Strategy and Execution in Product and Service Innovation. The 22nd ISPIM Conference, The International Society for Professional Innovation Management.
- Lichtenstein, , Shabtay, I., Milstein, I. and Ben-Assuli, O. (2010). Social Influence and Network Effects in the Diffusion of A Healthcare Information Exchange System. Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems.
- Lichtenstein, , Ginzburg, I. and Higgins, A. (2007). Looking for the Locus of Innovation in New Service Development. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS).
Journal articles (9)
- Lichtenstein, Y., Fink, L. and Wyss, S. (2018). Aligning flexibility with uncertainty in software development arrangements through a contractual typology. Journal of Global Operations and Strategic Sourcing.
- Lichtenstein, Y., Cucuy, S. and Fink, L. (2017). Pre-defined and optional staging for the deployment of enterprise systems: a case study and a framework. Enterprise Information Systems, 11(3), pp. 414–433. doi:10.1080/17517575.2015.1057768.
- Benaroch, M., Lichtenstein, Y. and Fink, L. (2016). Contract Design Choices and the Balance of Ex-Ante and Ex-Post Transaction Costs in Software Development Outsourcing. MIS Quarterly, 40(1), pp. 57–82.
- Lichtenstein, Y., Abbott, P. and Rechavi, A. (2015). Engaging Students in MIS Course through the Creation of e-Businesses: A Self Determination Theory Analysis. Communications of the Association for Information Systems.
- Fink, L. and Lichtenstein, Y. (2014). Why project size matters for contract choice in software development outsourcing. ACM SIGMIS Database, 45(3), pp. 54–71. doi:10.1145/2659254.2659258.
- Fink, L., Lichtenstein, Y. and Wyss, S. (2013). Ex post adaptations and hybrid contracts in software development services. Applied Economics, 45(32), pp. 4533–4544. doi:10.1080/00036846.2013.791021.
- Gefen, D., Wyss, S. and Lichtenstein, Y. (2008). Business Familiarity as Risk Mitigation in Software Development Outsourcing Contracts. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), pp. 531–552.
- Benaroch, M., Lichtenstein, and Robinson, K. (2006). Real Options in Information Technology Risk Management : An Empirical Validation of Risk-Option Relationships. MIS Quarterly, 30(4), pp. 827–864.
- Lichtenstein, Y. (2004). Puzzles in software development contracting. Communications of the ACM, 47(2), pp. 61–65. doi:10.1145/966389.966391.
- Lichtenstein, Y., Malka, J. and Aharon, A. Test Program Generator. Patent no. 6,006,028
- Lichtenstein, Y., Malka, J., Aharon, A., Fournier, L. and Gluska, A. Method for Measuring Architectural Test Coverage for Design Verification. Patent no. 5,724,504