Time is ever present in consumer behaviour spanning both short and long term, past and future, chronological time and experienced time. My research focuses on consumer temporality in a number of contexts: such as mobility (tourism, commuting, or migration), nostalgia, branding, technologies such as mobile phones or robotics, sustainablility and climate change, food consumption, or friendship.
My research is inspired by the philosophy of time, drawing on thinkers such as Heidegger, Husserl, Merleu-Ponty, Koselleck, Giddens, Bourdieu and Foucault, but implements these conceptual insights using sociocultural methods from anthropology and sociology.
- PhD, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, Sep 2013 – Sep 2016
- Track Leader, Undergraduate Marketing Specialization, City, University London, Dec 2018 – present
German (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Veresiu, E., Robinson, T. and Babic-Rosario, A. (2021). The longstanding obsession with nostalgic consumption - Unpacking the past and future of marketing and consumer research on nostalgia. In Jacobsen, M.H. (Ed.), Faces of Nostalgia - Explorations of a Multi-Facetted Emotion Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Robinson, (2015). Chronos and Kairos: Multiple Futures and Damaged Consumption Meaning. Research in Consumer Behavior (pp. 129–154). Emerald Group Publishing Limited,.
Conference papers and proceedings (13)
- Robinson, T. and Rich, M. (2019). Internationalising Higer Education: Designs for a Cultural Management Pedagody. Learning at City 3 July, Northampton Square, City University.
- Robinson, T., Babic-Rosario, A. and Wiertz, C. (2019). Trust and Risk in Robot Services - Temporality in Technology Acceptance. 48th EMAC Annual Conference 28-31 May, University of Hamburg.
- Lundahl, O. and Robinson, T. (2019). Voluntary hysteresis in food consumption and in the mobilisation of power – When Jay Z and Beyoncé went vegan. EMAC: European Marketing Academy 28-31 May, Hamburg.
- Robinson, T., Babic-Rosario, A. and Wiertz, C. (2019). Pre-Consumption of Service Robots: The Role of Narrated Assemblages in Experiential Control. 10TH EIASM INTERPRETIVE CONSUMER RESEARCH WORKSHOP 9-10 May, Lyon, France.
- Robinson, T. and Lundahl, O. (2019). Voluntary Hysteresis in Food Consumption. 10TH EIASM INTERPRETIVE CONSUMER RESEARCH WORKSHOP 9-10 May, Lyon, France.
- Robinson, T. and Arnould, A. (2018). Against Flowsterism: Sticky Mobility in Global Consumer Identity Making. Consumer Culture Theory, 2018 28 Jun 2018 – 1 Jul 2018, Odense, Denmark.
- Robinson, T., Veresiu, E. and Babic-Rosario, A. (2018). Reflective Nostalgia in Post-Socialist Cartoon Consumption: Rethinking the Temporal Dynamics of a Consumable Past. Consumer Culture Theory 28 Jun 2018 – 1 Jul 2018, Odense, Denmark.
- Robinson, T. and Arnould, E. (2018). Energy/Technology: ‘En-gauging’ Consumer Culture. EACR 21-23 June, Ghent, Belgium.
- Robinson, T. and Arnould, E. (2018). Time/Geography: ‘Anticiplacement’ in Consumer Mobility. EACR 21-23 June, Ghent, Belgium.
- Robinson, T. and Chelekis, J. (2017). Nesting Hope: Interpretation and Context in Consumer Emotion in special session: Special Session: Contextualizing Hope: The Materiality and Practice of Hope. Consumer Culture Theory, 2017 9 Jul 2017 – 12 May 2019, Disneyland California.
- Robinson, T. (2017). Consumer Futurescapes: Cultural Imagination and Sustainable Energy Technology. Consumer Culture Theory, 2017 9 July, Disneyland, California.
- Robinson, T.D. and Chelekis, J.A. (2016). Dying to consume: Marketing and the existentialization of sustainability.
- Veresiu, E., Babic-Rosario, A. and Robinson, T.D. Nostalgiacising: A Performative Theory of Nostalgic Consumption. Association for Consumer Research Dallas, Texas.
Journal articles (3)
- Robinson, T.D. and Arnould, E. (2020). Portable technology and multi-domain energy practices. Marketing Theory, 20(1), pp. 3–22. doi:10.1177/1470593119870226.
- Murray, J.B., Brokalaki, Z., Bhogal-Nair, A., Cermin, A., Chelekis, J., Cocker, H. … Zuniga, M.A. (2019). Toward a processual theory of transformation. Journal of Business Research, 100, pp. 319–326. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.12.025.
- Robinson, T. and Veresiu, E. Advertising in a Context Harm Crisis. Journal of Advertising.
- Robinson, Time and Culture in Consumer Behaviour: Framing the Future Through Technology (Routledge, Forthcoming 2019). (PhD Thesis)