I am a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Management at Cass Business School, a founding member of the Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice, and Course Director for the interdisciplinary Masters in Innovation Creativity and Leadership. From 2011 – 2015 I was a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design at City University, and from 2006 - 2011, I held an RCUK Research Fellowship in creativity applied to design and engineering, with a particular focus on the design of interactive systems.
I am currently exploring links between creativity, innovation, leadership and resilience, as part of the Boosting Resilience project, funded by Arts Council England, and am using a combination of arts-based methods and business thinking to deliver creative enterprise training to students and entrepreneurs in Armenia and Kyrgyzstan in two Creative Spark projects, funded by the British Council.
Ongoing research interests include the use of new and emerging technologies to support creative processes, as well as the application of creative requirements and design techniques in both small and large-scale software and service development projects.
I have been a principal/co-investigator on more than 10 AHRC-, JISC-, EU- and bilaterally funded research projects worth over £10million, over £1million of which has come to City. I have published more than 100 peer-reviewed papers in academic journals and conference proceedings, supervised 9 PhD students, taught a wide range of different courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and consulted for a number of major organisations.
- PhD Computer Science, City, University of London, United Kingdom, 1993
- MSc Information Processing, University of York, United Kingdom, 1986
- BA Hons Psychology and Philosophy, Oxford University, United Kingdom, 1985
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Jan 2015 – present
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Jan 2011 – Jan 2015
- RCUK Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jan 2006 – Jan 2011
- Research Assistant, City, University of London, Jan 2002 – Jan 2006
- Research Assistant and Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jan 1990 – Jan 1993
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2013 – present
- Design Thinking
- Innovation & Creativity
- Knowledge & Learning
- creative industries
Funded Business and Applied Research Contracts
OnSola: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with Stickyworld on delivering online support for the soft landings process, assisting the construction industry and its clients deliver better buildings; total funding £146,275, value to City University London £10,000, 2015.
DSTLR: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with the Meme Partnership on facilitating creative search; value to City University London £4,165, 2015.
Neighbourhood Stickers: Principal investigator, funded by the Nominet Trust to work with Stickyworld on exploring digital ways to engage young people in planning; value to City University London £9,000, 2014.
Digital Shoreditch Deep Insight – understanding for growth: Principal investigator, funded by AHRC, via Creativeworks London to work with Digital Shoreditch on developing links between the Digital Shoreditch Festival and the local Tech City community, total funding £14,991, value to City University London £9,991, 2013.
Arcola Local: Co-investigator, funded by AHRC, via Creativeworks London to work with Arcola Theatre on developing digital approaches to engagement with the local community, total funding £15,000, value to City University London £10,000, 2013.
Converging Conversations: Principal investigator, funded by InnovateUK to work with Stickyworld on developing a communications tool to support concept development at the earliest stages of creative projects; total funding £53,352, value to City University London £9,500, 2013.
Visualising the Smart Home - Creative Engagement with Customer Data: Co-investigator, with Dr Veselin Rakocevic, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, City University London, and Dr Milan Prodanivic, IMDEA Energy Institute, funded by the e.on international research initiative, value to City University London £187,325, 2012
MIRROR - Reflective Learning at Work: Co-investigator, with Prof Neil Maiden, Centre for Human-Computer Interaction Design, City University London, EU Framework VII Integrated Project, total funding € 6,450,000, value to City University London €529,932, 2010 – 2014
Information Spaces for Collaborative Creativity: Principal investigator, JISC-funded project with Middlesex University Interaction Design Centre and Product Design Department, total funding £199,983, value to City University London £64,600, 2008 - 2010
Information Technology and its Use in the Context of Museums and Art Galleries: Co-investigator, with Dr Juliet Steyn, Department of Cultural Policy and Management, LCACE-funded workshop, City University London, £5,000, 2009
Networking Devices to Support a Process of Collaborative Creativity: Co-investigator, with Dr Veselin Rakocevic, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, City University London internal pump-priming fund, City University London, £5,000, 2009
My current research focuses on the development, use and evaluation of computational tools and technologies that can support and augment human creative and innovation processes in a range of different contexts. Areas of particular interest include the two way relationship between information visualisations and the creative process (both using deliberate creativity techniques in the design of information visualisations, and using information visualisations to support the generation of creative ideas for innovative new products); the development and use of search engines for and by creative professionals; the opportunities offered by mobile co-design for smart city innovation; and the use of embodied interaction to leverage affect in creative processes such as idea generation.
Following the remit of my RCUK fellowship (2006 – 2011), and, building on that, the establishment of the interdisciplinary Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice at City (2008), my research has frequently incorporated work with colleagues from other disciplines including product design, electrical and electronic engineering, and psychology.
- Tracey Booth, PhD Candidate
Alwin de Rooij
Attendance: May 2016
Thesis title: Hacking into the Emotion-Creativity Link: Two new approaches to interactive systems that influence the relationship between emotion and creativity
Attendance: Sep 2015
Thesis title: CoDesign with Data
Attendance: Sep 2014 – present
Thesis title: Mental Models and Learning Barriers for End-User Developers in Physical Prototyping
Reem Al Asheikh
Attendance: Sep 2012 – present
Thesis title: Investigating Collaboration and Awareness in Long-term Collaborative Learning
Attendance: May 2012
Thesis title: Older People as Equal Partners in the Creative Design of Digital Devices
Attendance: May 2001
Thesis title: The Specification of Time-Critical Components of Interactive Systems
Attendance: May 2000
Thesis title: Intelligible Specifications for Interactive Software Systems
Attendance: May 2000
Thesis title: The Impact of Multimedia on Students’ Learning Experience in Kuwaiti Higher Education
Attendance: May 1999
Thesis title: The Use of a Student Model in a Multimedia Application to Configure Learning
- Bermudez, P. and Jones, S. (2016). Early stage creative design collaboration: A survey of current practice. Collaboration in Creative Design: Methods and Tools (pp. 297–318). ISBN 978-3-319-29153-6.
- Holtham, C. and Jones, S. (2018). Skilful Coping with Unorder: Educating 21st Century Arts Leadership. European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management: 6th Workshop on Managing Arts and Cultural Organisations 30 Nov 2018 – 1 Dec 2018, Oxford.
- Jones, S., Kernan, M.A.K. and Holtham, C.W. (2017). Taking the MICL: An Interdisciplinary Masters Programme in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership. EFMD Research Conference 23-24 October, Leuven.
- Booth, T., Stumpf, S., Bird, J. and Jones, S. (2016). Crossed wires: Investigating the problems of end-user developers in a physical computing task.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (2014). Using Information Visualization to Support Creativity in Service Design Workshops. ServDes. 2014 9-11 April, Lancaster, UK.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (2014). Using data to stimulate creative thinking in the design of new products and services.
- Dove, G., Jones, S.V., Dykes, J., Brown, A. and Duffy, A. (2013). Using data visualization in creativity workshops: a new tool in the designer's kit. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition 17-20 June, Sydney, Australia.
- Kerzner, E., Goodwin, S., Dykes, J., Jones, S. and Meyer, M. (2019). A Framework for Creative Visualization-Opportunities Workshops. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 25(1), pp. 748–758. doi:10.1109/TVCG.2018.2865241.
- Goodwin, S., Dykes, J.A., Jones, S., Dillingham, I., Dove, G., Duffy, A. … Wood, J. (2013). Creative User-Centered Visualization Design for Energy Analysts and Modelers. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 19(12), pp. 2516–2525. doi:10.1109/TVCG.2013.145.
- Jones, S., Wilikens, M., Morris, P. and Masera, M. (2000). Trust requirements in e-business. Commun. ACM, 43, pp. 81–87.
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1999). The untrained eye: how languages for software specification support understanding in untrained users. Human Computer Interaction, 14(1&2).
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V., Ncube, C. and Lockerbie, J. (2011). Using i* in Requirements Projects: Some Experiences and Lessons. In Yu, E., Giorgini, P. and Maiden, N. (Eds.), Social Modeling for Requirements Engineering MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-24055-0.
- Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. (2005). RESCUE: An Integrated Method for Specifying Requirements for Complex Socio-Technical Systems. In Maté, J.L. and Silva, A. (Eds.), Requirements Engineering For Sociotechnical Systems Idea Group Inc. ISBN 978-1-59140-506-1.
- Bolton, D., Green, S., Jones, S.V. and Till, D. (1995). Techniques and tools for knowledge-based requirements engineering. In Hurley, W.D. (Ed.), Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering World Scientific Publishing Company. ISBN 978-981-02-1911-6.
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1994). Using domain knowledge in requirements capture and formal specification construction. In Jirotka, M. and Goguen, J. (Eds.), Requirements engineering Academic Press.
Conference papers and proceedings (80)
- De Rooij, A., Corr, P.J. and Jones, S. (2017). Creativity and emotion: Enhancing creative thinking by the manipulation of computational feedback to determine emotional intensity.
- Ashaikh, R.A., Wilson, S. and Jones, S. (2016). A persuasive social actor for activity awareness in learning groups.
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (2015). (E)motion and creativity: Hacking the function of motor expressions in emotion regulation to augment creativity.
- De Rooij, A., Corr, P.J. and Jones, S. (2015). Emotion and creativity: Hacking into cognitive appraisal processes to augment creative ideation.
- Ashaikh, R.A., Wilson, S. and Jones, S. (2014). Exploring awareness behaviours and collaboration activities in learning groups.
- de Rooij, A. and Jones, S.V. (2013). Mood and creativity: an appraisal tendency perspective. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition 17-20 June, Sydney, Australia.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition 17-20 June, Sydney, Australia.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (2013). Evaluating Creativity Support in Co-Design Workshops. CHI 2013 Workshop: Evaluation Methods for Creativity Support Environments 27 Apr 2013 – 2 May 2013, Paris.
- Sustar, H., Jones, S. and Dearden, A. (2013). Older people as equal partners in creative design.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … ACM, (2013). A Software App to Support Creativity in Dementia Care.
- De Rooij, A. and Jones, S. (2013). Motor expressions as creativity support: Exploring the potential for physical interaction.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S. (2012). Narrative Visualization: Sharing Insights into Complex Data. Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction (IHCI 2012) 21-23 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dove, G. and Jones, S.V. (2012). Narrative visualization: sharing insights into complex data. IADIS HCI Conference Lisbon.
- Nusa, , Ahmed, and Jones, S.V. (2012). UNDERSTANDING THE COMMUNICATION CONTEXT OF SUCCESFULL HIGH-TECH NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT. Ninth International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering (TMCE2012).
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S., Turner, I. and Rose, M. (2011). Introducing Creativity Techniques and Software Apps to the Care of People with Dementia. 8th ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition 3-6 November, Atlanta, USA.
- Jones, S.V., Poulsen, A., Maiden, N. and Zachos, K. (2011). User roles in asynchronous distributed collaborative idea generation. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition 3-6 November, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N. (2011). Creativity in Older People Designing Digital Devices. Proceedings CREATE’11 Symposium 23 June, London.
- Karlsen, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … Pudney, K. (2011). Supporting reflection and creative thinking by carers of older people with dementia.
- Jones, S., Rakocevic, V., Williams, M. and Atanasova, E. (2011). Use of a multi-touch surface to support distributed design meetings as part of a problem-based learning approach to teaching design.
- Bardill, A., Griffiths, W., Jones, S.V. and Fields, B. (2010). Design Tribes and Information Spaces for Creative Conversations. International conference on engineering and product design education 2-3 September, Trondheim, Norway.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Karlsen, K., Neill, R., Zachos, K. and Milne, A. (2010). Requirements engineering as creative problem solving: A research agenda for idea finding.
- Sustar, H., Jones, S.V. and Zaphiris, P. (2009). Older People as Equal Partners in Designing a Digital Device for Seniors. CREATE 2009 1-2 July.
- Schlosser, C., Jones, S.V. and Maiden, N.A.M. (2008). Using a Creativity Workshop to Generate Requirements for an Event Database Application. International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundations for Software Quality June, Montpelier, France.
- Zachos, K., Zhu, X., Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. (2008). Seamlessly Integrating Service Discovery into UML Requirements Processes. International Workshop on Service Oriented Software Engineering (IW-SOSE’06) 27-28 May, Shanghai, China.
- Jones, S., Lynch, P., Maiden, N. and Lindstaedt, S. (2008). Use and Influence of Creative Ideas and Requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System.
- Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S. (2008). Provoking creative design: making it scale.
- Jones, S.V. and Lindstaedt, S. (2008). A Multi-Activity Distributed Participatory Design Process for Stimulating Creativity in the Specification of requirements for a Work-Integrated Learning System. Workshop on Distributed Participatory Design, held in association with CHI 2008.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M. and Karlsen, K. (2007). Creativity in the Specification of Large-Scale Socio-Technical Systems. Conference on Creative Inventions, Innovations and Everyday Designs in HCI 13-14 June, London.
- Maiden, N., Lockerbie, J., Randall, D., Jones, S. and Bush, D. (2007). Using satisfaction arguments to enhance i* modelling of an air traffic management system.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2007). Discovering Web Services to Specify More Complete System Requirements.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. (2006). Using multimedia case study material for teaching requirements engineering. 4th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Computing August.
- Dourdas, N., Zhu, X., Maiden, N., Jones, S. and Zachos, K. (2006). Discovering Remote Software Services that Satisfy Requirements: Patterns for Query Reformulation. 18th Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering: CAiSE 2006 5-9 June, Luxembourg.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2006). Does service discovery enhance requirements specification? A preliminary empirical investigation.
- Ley, T., Kump, B., Lindstaedt, S.N., Albert, D., Maiden, N.A.M. and Jones, S.V. (2006). Competence and Performance in Requirements Engineering: Bringing Learning to the Workplace. 2nd Workshop on Learner-Oriented Knowledge Management & KM-Oriented E-Learning (LOKMOL 2006).
- Zisman, A., Jones, S., Kozlenkov, A., Mahbub, K., Maiden, N., Spanoudakis, G. … Zhu, X. (2005). Service Discovery for Service Centric Systems. eChallenges 2005 19-21 October, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Zhu, X., Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V. and Zachos, K. (2005). Applying Patterns in Service Discovery. 13th International Requirements Engineering Conference 29 Aug 2005 – 2 Sep 2005, Paris, France.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N., Zachos, K. and Zhu, X. (2005). How Service-Centric Systems Change the Requirements Process. REFSQ’2005 Workshop, in conjunction with CaiSE’2005 13-14 June, Porto.
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. (2005). Creativity in the Design of Complex Systems. Workshop on Complexity in Design and Engineering 10-12 March, University of Glasgow.
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S.V. (2004). Dependability in RESCUE: A Concurrent Engineering Approach to the Specification of Requirements for Air Traffic Management. DSN 2004: The International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks 28 Jun 2004 – 1 Jul 2004, Palazzo dei Congressi, Florence, Italy.
- Maiden, N.A.M., Jones, S.V., Manning, S., Greenwood, J. and Renou, L. (2004). Model-driven requirements engineering: synchronising models in an air traffic management case study.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. (2004). Human Activity Modelling in the Specification of Operational Requirements: Work in Progress. 26th International Conference on Software Engineering.
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S.V. and Greenwood, J. (2004). Pattern-Based Generation of Requirements from System Models. 10th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2004.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S.V. and Flynn, M. (2003). Innovative Requirements Engineering Applied to ATM. ATM 2003 23-27 June, Budapest.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Flynn, M., SOCIETY, I.C. and SOCIETY, I.C. (2003). Integrating RE methods to support use case based requirements specification.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. (2000). The use of the Verbaliser-Imager cognitive style as a descriptor in a student model of learner characteristics in a multimedia application. 5th Annual Conference of the European Learning Styles Information Network, (ELSIN) 26-27 June, University of Hertfordshire.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (2000). Individual cognitive style and performance in a multimedia learning application. Euro Education 2000 Conference 8-10 February, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Kutar, M., Loomes, M. and Robinson, B. (2000). Evaluating the Intelligibility of Diagrammatic Languages Used in the Specification of Software.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (1999). Report of a pilot study of an individually configurable multimedia learning prototype based on a co-operative student model of learner characteristics. 21-23 September, Bristol.
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. (1999). Adding a systemic view to the requirements engineering processes. Tenth International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 99) 1-3 September, Florence, Italy.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (1999). Investigation into the effect of language on performance in a multimedia food studies application. INTERACT'99, the Seventh IFIP Conference on Human-Computer Interaction 30 Aug 1999 – 3 Sep 1999, Edinburgh.
- Veneziano, V., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and De Matthaeis, P. (1999). Supporting reasoning and comprehension of e-contracts. Proceedings of the Third International Cognitive Technology Conference (CT '99) 11-14 August, San Francisco.
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, S., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1999). Multimedia interface design in relation to a learner’s culture. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 99 19-24 June, Seattle.
- Jones, S.V. (1998). A graphical representation for Communicating Sequential Processes. FAHCI Workshop September, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Britton, C., Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. (1998). Separating the system interface from its internal state: an alternative structure for Z specifications. FAHCI Workshop September, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1998). The impact of multimedia tutorial on students’ learning experience in Kuwait higher education. World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia & World Conference on Educational Telecommunications 20-25 June, Freiburg, Germany.
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford, J. (1998). The role of informal representations in early design. Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems ‘98 3-5 June, Abingdon.
- Loomes, M. and Jones, S. (1998). Requirements Engineering: A Perspective Through Theory-Building.
- Lam, W., Jones, S. and Britton, C. (1998). Technology Transfer for Reuse: A Management Model and Process Improvement Framework.
- Lam, L., Shankararaman, V., Jones, S.V., Hewitt, J. and Britton, C. (1998). Change Analysis and Management: A Process Model and its Application within a Commercial Setting. Proceedings of ASSET-98.
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1998). Use of project characterisation in selecting notations for modelling requirements. ECBS98.
- Lam, W., Jones, S.V. and Vickers, A. (1998). Towards the mechanisation of requirements engineering: The reuse of application and task domain knowledge. ECBS98.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (1997). The evaluation of Horizon multimedia learning materials for students with learning difficulties and disabilities. ALT-C97 Conference September, Wolverhampton University.
- Britton, C. and Jones, S.V. (1997). Which properties make a modelling notation easy for untrained users to understand? International Workshop on Representations July, London.
- Myers, M., Britton, S., Jones, S.V. and Sharif, M. (1997). An investigation into the measurement of notations used in software modelling. Proceedings of The Eighth European Software Control and Metrics Conference May, Berlin.
- Lam, W. and Jones, S. (1997). Mechanising Requirements Engineering: Reuse and the Application of Domain Analysis Technology.
- Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Hewitt, J., Jones, S.V. and Messer, D. (1997). Assessment of the use of computer assisted learning (CAL) and multimedia in Kuwaiti higher education. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computers in Education.
- Jones, S.V. and Wells, T. (1997). Iterative development of web-based teaching materials using existing paper-based resources. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning University of Exeter.
- Barker, T., Jones, S.V., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (1997). The creation of task-based differentiated learning materials for students with learning difficulties and/or disabilitie. International Conference on Computer-Assisted Learning University of Exeter.
- Lam, W. and Jones, S.V. (1997). The case for reuse-centred approaches to requirements engineering. Third International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality.
- Jones, S.V. and Britton, C. (1996). Early elicitation and definition of requirements for an interactive multimedia information system. Second International Conference on Requirements Engineering 15-18 April, Colorado Springs, USA.
- Jacob, L. and Jones, S.V. (1994). Formal dialogue specification for hypertext and multimedia systems. East-West International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction 2-6 August, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Jones, S.V. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1994). The role of graphical representations in early design and requirements specification. Workshop on Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction: Joint Research Issues 16-17 May, Sorrento, Italy.
- Jones, S.V. (1994). "3-dimensional modelling in knowledge engineering”, in What are Graphical User Interfaces Good For? One day colloquium organised by IEE professional group C5 on 27th January 27 January.
- Bearne, M., Jones, S. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1994). Towards Usability Guidelines for Multimedia Systems.
- Jarke, M., Pohl, K., Jacobs, S., Bubenko, J., Assenova, P., Holm, P. … Spanoudakis, G. (1993). Requirements Engineering: an Integrated View of Representation, Process and Domain. 4th European Software Engineering Conference 13-17 September, Garmesh-Partenkirchen.
- Jones, S. (1993). 3-D Diagrams for Knowledge Engineering: An Early Estimation of Utility.
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). "A generic modelling approach to requirements capture in the domain of air traffic control”, in Software in Air Traffic Control Systems - The Future. One day colloquium organised by IEE professional groups C1 and E15 22 June.
- Furber, D., Green, S., Bolton, D., Till, D. and Jones, S.V. (1992). Formal requirements models from domain knowledge. “Formal requirements models from domain knowledge”, in Software Engineering and AI 10 April.
- Jones, S.V. (1989). Graphics for knowledge engineering: The use of 3-dimensional interactive connection diagrams for knowledge engineering. People and Computer Interaction System Student Workshop Open University.
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Muller, L., Panesse, L., Pitts, K. … Zachos, K. Computing Technologies for Reflective and Creative Care for People with Dementia.
Internet publications (2)
- Jones, S.V. and Clulow, S. (2012). How to foster a culture of collaboration between universities and industry. Guardian Higher Education Network blog.
- Jones, S.V. (2012). Creating a culture of collaboration in universities.
Journal articles (18)
- Makri, S., Hsueh, T.L. and Jones, S. (2018). Ideation as an Intellectual Information Acquisition and Use Context: Investigating Game Designers' Information-Based Ideation Behavior. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. doi:10.1002/asi.24169.
- Pitts, K., Pudney, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Krogstie, B., Jones, S. … Turner, I. (2015). Using mobile devices and apps to support reflective learning about older people with dementia. Behaviour and Information Technology, 34(6), pp. 613–631. doi:10.1080/0144929X.2015.1015165.
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Müller, L., Pannese, L., Pitts, K. … Zachos, K. (2013). Computing technologies for reflective, creative care of people with dementia. Communications of the ACM, 56(11), pp. 60–67. doi:10.1145/2500495.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … MacManus, J. (2013). Digital creativity in dementia care support. International Journal of Creative Computing, 1(1), pp. 35–35. doi:10.1504/ijcrc.2013.056924.
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S. (2010). Agile Requirements Can We Have Our Cake and Eat It Too? IEEE Software, 27(3), pp. 87–88. doi:10.1109/MS.2010.67.
- Maiden, N. and Jones, S. (2010). Requirements Agile Requirements-Can We Have Our Cake and Eat It Too? IEEE SOFTWARE, 27(3), pp. 87–88. doi:10.1109/MS.2010.67.
- Jones, S., Maiden, N.A.M., Manning, S. and Greenwood, J. (2007). Informing the specification of a large-scale socio-technical system with models of human activity. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 4542 LNCS, pp. 175–189.
- Norden, B. and Jones, S.V. (2007). Screenwriting for Requirements Engineers. IEEE Software, 24(4).
- Maiden, N., Manning, S., Jones, S. and Greenwood, J. (2005). Generating Requirements from Systems Models using Patterns: A Case Study. Requirements Engineering Journal, 10(4), pp. 276–288.
- Barker, T., Jones, S., Britton, C. and Messer, D. (2002). The Use of a Co-operative Student Model of Learner Characteristics to Configure a Multimedia Application. User Model. User-Adapt. Interact., 12, pp. 207–241.
- Jones, S., Till, D. and Wrightson, A.M. (1998). Formal methods and requirements engineering: Challenges and synergies. Journal of Systems and Software, 40, pp. 263–273.
- Jones, S.V. and Hewitt, J. (1998). Heuristic evaluation of web site usability: Experiences from two case studies. HCI Letters, 1(1).
- Britton, C., Jones, S., Myers, M. and Sharif, M. (1997). A survey of current practice in the development of multimedia systems. Information & Software Technology, 39, pp. 695–705.
- Beanie, M., Jones, S., Hewitt, J. and Sapsford-Francis, J. (1996). Providing public access to information in complex and weakly structured domains: A 3-layered model for hypermedia information systems. New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 2(1), pp. 69–87. doi:10.1080/13614569608914675.
- Jones, S.V. and Johnson, C. (1996). Human computer interaction and requirements engineering - papers from an interdisciplinary workshop, 15th January, 1996. SIGCHI Bulletin, 29(1).
- McCluskey, T.L., Naik, Y., Porteous, J.M., Taylor, C.N. and Jones, S.V. (1995). A requirements capture method and its use in an air traffic control application. Software Practice and Experience, 25(1).
- Bolton, D., Jones, S.V., Till, D., Furber, D. and Green, S. (1992). Knowledge-based support for requirements engineering. International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 2(2), pp. 293–319.
- Jones, S.V. (1988). Graphical interfaces for knowledge engineering: An overview of relevant literature. Knowledge Engineering Review, 3(3).
Since its inception in autumn 2010, I have been course director for the unique, interdisciplinary Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership (MICL). This course was run from 2010 – 2015 through the Interdisciplinary Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice at City University, and moved in the year 2015-16 to the Cass Business School, to become a full part of the Cass Masters programme by September 2016.
Since 2008, I have been developing innovative methods for teaching in relation to creativity and the design of interactive systems. From 2008-10, I received a grant of £64K from JISC to investigate the use of blended physical and digital spaces in the teaching of creative design, and in 2010, a further £3K from City University to develop and disseminate the findings from this project across the University.
Prior to that, I have lead and taught for modules on Requirements Engineering, User Interface Design, Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, Knowledge Engineering, Formal Notations and Models, and System Design and Development.
I have also supervised numerous projects at both Masters and undergraduate levels on themes relating to innovation, creativity and leadership as well as human-centred systems, business systems analysis and design, information systems, software engineering, computer science, cognitive science, software systems for the arts and media and combined studies degrees.
Course Director for the unique, interdisciplinary Masters in Innovation Creativity and Leadership
INM403 Technologies for Creativity and Innovation, for the Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership (2011 - present)
INM411 Research Methods and Individual Project, for the Masters in Innovation, Creativity and Leadership (2012 - present)
Editorial activity (8)
- ACM Creativity and Cognition 2015.
- PeerJ Computer Science.
- ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Systems (EICS) 2013.
- International Journal of Creative Computing.
- DESIRE’11 - 2nd International Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design.
- Information Spaces for Creative Conversations, 2009.
- Information Technology in Creative Environments, conference track at the Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) 2010.
- Associate chair ACM Designing Interactive Systems 2016.
Keynote lectures/speeches (2)
- Digital Agenda for Europe: Driving Innovation through Creativity and the Arts. Lisbon, Portugal (2015).
- Women in Digital Culture, Digital Shoreditch. London, UK (2015).