Konstantinos Zachos is Research Fellow at the Centre for Creativity in Professional Practice, Cass Business School of City, University of London.
Konstantinos’ current research focuses on intelligent digital support to enhance journalism productivity and creativity through the use of digital tools that compute creative outcomes by exploiting artificial intelligence and information retrieval techniques. In particular, Konstantinos will be researching and developing a prototype of digital creativity support for journalists during the early stages of news story and feature development, funded by the new EU-funded project called INJECT.
A second research area that Konstantinos is focusing on is digital support for the more seamless care planning, monitoring and interventions by people with chronic conditions and their carers. In particular, Konstantinos will be part of a team (funded by an EPSRC Grant called SCAMPI) that will co-design, prototype and evaluate the feasibility of the toolset with people with two example chronic conditions - dementia and Parkinson's disease. The team will work closely with the Alzheimer's Society and Parkinson's UK in order to engage people with these conditions, their families, carers and disease experts.
Finally, another current research focus is digital support for human creativity in health-and-safety management in manufacturing plants that acts as a demonstrator for the wider application of creativity techniques and digital support tools in professional practice.
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Oct 2004 – Dec 2007
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, Oct 2007 – present
- Innovation & Creativity
- Requirements engineering, in particular requirements for services delivered from web-systems
- Requirements-based service discovery and service-based systems development
- Theories and models of creativity in software design
- Information Retrieval Methods, including Word Sense Disambiguation, Query Expansion and Natural Language Processing
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Levis, S., Camargo, K. and Allemandi, G. (2015). Creativity support to improve health-and-safety in manufacturing plants: Demonstrating everyday creativity. (pp. 225–234). ISBN 978-1-4503-3598-0.
Conference papers and proceedings (30)
- Maiden, N., Zachos, K., Paraskevopoulos, F., Ientsek, S., Apostolou, D. and Mentzas, G. (2018). Creative Information Exploration in Journalism. IISA 2018, The International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications 23-25 July, Zakynthos, Greece.
- Maiden, N., Brock, G., Zachos, K. and Brown, A. (2018). Making the News: Digital Creativity Support for Journalists. ACM SIGCHI Conference 2018 20-27 April, Montreal, Canada.
- Maiden, N., Zachos, K., Lockerbie, J., Levis, S., Camargo, K., Hoddy, S. … ACM, (2017). Evaluating Digital Creativity Support To Improve Health-and-Safety in a Manufacturing Plant.
- Maiden, N., Zachos, K., Lockerbie, J., Camargo, K. and Hoddy, S. (2017). Establishing digital creativity support in non-creative work environments.
- Maiden, N., Zachos, K., Lockerbie, J., Brock, G. and Traver, C. (2016). Developing and Evaluating Digital Creativity Support in Google Docs for Journalists.
- Maiden, N., Lockerbie, J., Zachos, K., Bertolino, A., De Angelis, G. and Lonetti, F. (2014). A requirements-led approach for specifying QoS-aware service choreographies: An experience report.
- Thompson, C., Maiden, N., Nouri, M. and Zachos, K. (2013). Evoking Emotion through Stories in Creative Dementia Care. 8th International Conference on Knowledge, Information and Creativity Support Systems 7-9 November, Kracow, Poland.
- Pitts, K., Zachos, K. and Maiden, N. (2013). Creativity Support for Learning in the Person-Centred Care of Older People with Dementia. 1st Workshop on Fostering Creativity in Learning Processes (CCL 2013) 18 September, Paphos, Cyprus.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care. 9th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition 17-20 June, Sydney, Australia.
- Zachos, K. and Maiden, N. (2013). A Computational Model of Analogical Reasoning in Dementia Care. The Fourth International Conference on Computational Creativity 12-14 June, Sydney, Australia.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … MacManus, J. (2013). A software app to support creativity in dementia care.
- Jones, S.V., Poulsen, A., Maiden, N. and Zachos, K. (2011). User roles in asynchronous distributed collaborative idea generation. 8th ACM conference on Creativity and cognition 3-6 November, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Karlsen, K., Jones, S., Turner, I. and Rose, M. (2011). Introducing Creativity Techniques and Software Apps to the Care of People with Dementia. 8th ACM Conference on Creativity and Cognition 3-6 November, Atlanta, USA.
- Jones, S., Poulsen, A., Maiden, N.A.M. and Zachos, K. (2011). User roles in asynchronous distributed collaborative idea generation.
- Zachos, K., Lockerbie, J., Hughes, B. and Matthews, P. (2011). Towards a framework for describing cloud service characteristics for use by chief information officers.
- Karlsen, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … Pudney, K. (2011). Supporting reflection and creative thinking by carers of older people with dementia.
- Nobauer, M., Seyff, N., Maiden, N. and Zachos, K. (2011). 3C: Using Service Discovery to Support Requirements Elicitation in the ERP Domain. CAiSE’2011 Conference London.
- Maiden, N., Jones, S., Karlsen, K., Neill, R., Zachos, K. and Milne, A. (2010). Requirements engineering as creative problem solving: A research agenda for idea finding.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Dobson, G. and Sawyer, P. (2010). Using QoS for Relevance Feedback in Service Discovery: A Preliminary Empirical Investigation.
- Zachos, K., Nikolaou, C., Petridis, P., Stratakis, G., Voskakis, M. and Papathanasiou, E. (2009). Enhancing service network analysis and service selection using requirements-based service discovery.
- Zachos, K., Dobson, G. and Sawyer, P. (2008). Ontology-aided translation in the comparison of candidate service quality.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M. and Howells-Morris, R. (2008). Discovering Web Services to Improve Requirements Specifications: Does It Help?.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2007). Discovering Web Services to Specify More Complete System Requirements.
- Dourdas, N., Zhu, X., Maiden, N., Jones, S. and Zachos, K. (2006). Discovering Remote Software Services that Satisfy Requirements: Patterns for Query Reformulation. 18th Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering: CAiSE 2006 5-9 June, Luxembourg.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Zhu, X. and Jones, S. (2006). Does service discovery enhance requirements specification? A preliminary empirical investigation.
- Zisman, A., Jones, S., Kozlenkov, A., Mahbub, K., Maiden, N., Spanoudakis, G. … Zhu, X. (2005). Service Discovery for Service Centric Systems. eChallenges 2005 19-21 October, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Maiden, N., Pang, H., Zachos, K. and Ncube, C. (2005). Do Rich Media Scenarios Support Requirements Discovery? REFSQ 2005 - 11th International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality 12-13 June, Porto, Portugal.
- Jones, S.V., Maiden, N.A.M., Zachos, K. and Zhu, X. (2005). How Service-Centric Systems Change the Requirements Process. 11th Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality: REFSQ2005.
- Zachos, K. and Maiden, N.A.M. (2004). ART-SCENE: Enhancing Scenario Walkthroughs With Multi-Media Scenarios.
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Muller, L., Panesse, L., Pitts, K. … Zachos, K. Computing Technologies for Reflective and Creative Care for People with Dementia.
Journal articles (8)
- Maiden, N., Zachos, K., Pitts, K. and Pudney, K. (2018). Evaluating the Use of Daily Care Notes Software for Older People with Dementia. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. doi:10.1080/10447318.2018.1482052.
- Apostolou, D., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Agell, N., Sánchez-Hernandez, G., Taramigkou, M. … Wippoo, M. (2016). Facilitating Creativity in Collaborative Work with Computational Intelligence Software. IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 11(2), pp. 29–40. doi:10.1109/MCI.2016.2532266.
- Pitts, K., Pudney, K., Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Krogstie, B., Jones, S. … Turner, I. (2015). Using mobile devices and apps to support reflective learning about older people with dementia. Behaviour and Information Technology, 34(6), pp. 613–631. doi:10.1080/0144929X.2015.1015165.
- Maiden, N., D'Souza, S., Jones, S., Müller, L., Pannese, L., Pitts, K. … Zachos, K. (2013). Computing technologies for reflective, creative care of people with dementia. Communications of the ACM, 56(11), pp. 60–67. doi:10.1145/2500495.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N., Pitts, K., Jones, S., Turner, I., Rose, M. … MacManus, J. (2013). Digital creativity in dementia care support. International Journal of Creative Computing, 1(1), pp. 35–35. doi:10.1504/IJCRC.2013.056924.
- Zachos, K., Kounkou, A.P. and Maiden, N.A.M. (2012). Exploiting Codified User Task Knowledge to Discover Services at Design-Time. IJSSOE, 3, pp. 30–66.
- Zachos, K. and Maiden, N.A.M. (2008). Inventing Requirements from Software: An Empirical Investigation with Web Services. RE pp. 145–154. doi:10.1109/RE.2008.39.
- Zachos, K., Maiden, N.A.M. and Tosar, A. (2005). Rich-Media Scenarios for Discovering Requirements. IEEE Software, 22, pp. 89–97. doi:10.1109/MS.2005.134.