Jeroen Veldman is Senior Research Fellow at Cass Business School, City University, London and section editor for corporate governance at the Journal of Business Ethics. He has previously held appointments at Cardiff Business School and the Utrecht School of Governance, Utrecht University and a visiting professorship at UPMF, Grenoble.
His research focuses on the historical development of the modern public corporation and corporate governance from the perspective of organization studies. He has published on these topics in Human Relations, Cambridge Journal of Economics, British Journal of Management, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Business Ethics: European Review, Business and Society Review, ephemera, and M@n@gement.
With Hugh Willmott he is engaged in a research project on corporate governance: http://themoderncorporation.wordpress.com/ In this project he coordinated the production and signing of a number of accessible statements on corporate governance by leading academics in the fields of management, company law, economics, politics and accounting. He also organised practitioner-oriented roundtables worldwide to identify best practices and models that provide levers to engage with systemic risks and embed a focus on long-term value creation in corporate governance theory and practice.
For an overview of publications, see:
Dutch; Flemish and English.
- Business Law
- Critical Management Studies
- Organization Theory
- Business Models
- Industrial Relations/Labour Studies
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Business History
- Economic History
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Finance
Jeroen coordinates an international project called 'The Modern Corporation'. For this project he organized international academic support for the writing and endorsement of a number of accessible and succinct papers on corporate governance in the fields of management (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3q), company law (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3o), politics (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3s), and accounting (http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-3m). These memos have been endorsed by leading academics around the world. For an overview of these memos see http://wp.me/P2TdaJ-j
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2017). Social ontology and the modern corporation. Cambridge Journal of Economics, 41(5), pp. 1489–1504. doi:10.1093/cje/bex043.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2016). The cultural grammar of governance: The UK Code of Corporate Governance, reflexivity, and the limits of ‘soft’ regulation. Human Relations, 69(3), pp. 581–603. doi:10.1177/0018726715593160.
- Veldman, J., Gregor, F. and Morrow, P. (2016). Corporate Governance for a Changing World: Report of a Global Roundtable Series. Brussels, Belgium: Frank Bold.
- du Plessis, J.J., Varottil, U. and Veldman, J. (2018). Globalisation of corporate social responsibility and its impact on corporate governance. ISBN 978-3-319-69128-2.
- du Plessis, J.J., Varottil, U. and Veldman, J. (2018). The significance of moving beyond corporate social responsibility (CSR). Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance (pp. 3–23). ISBN 978-3-319-69128-2.
- Veldman, J. (2018). Responsibility and the modern corporation. Globalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Impact on Corporate Governance (pp. 77–92). ISBN 978-3-319-69128-2.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2017). The corporation in management studies. The Corporation: A Critical, Multi-Disciplinary Handbook (pp. 197–211). ISBN 978-1-139-68102-5.
- Veldman, J. (2017). Self-regulation in international corporate governance codes. Corporate Governance Codes for the 21st Century: International Perspectives and Critical Analyses (pp. 77–95). ISBN 978-3-319-51868-8.
- Veldman, J. (2016). Corporation: Reification of the corporate form. The Routledge Companion to Philosophy in Organization Studies (pp. 333–342). ISBN 978-1-134-46608-5.
- Veldman, J. (2016). Incorporating embodiment. Institutions Inc. (pp. 124–144). ISBN 978-1-137-48149-8.
- Willmott, H. and Veldman, J. (2016). Reimagining the Corporation: The Relevance of Legal, Economic and Political Imaginaries. In Haslam, J. and Sikka, P. (Eds.), Pioneers of Critical Accounting: A Celebration of the Life of Tony Lowe (pp. 231–257). London: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-54211-3.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2016). The Corporation in Management Studies.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. Management. In Baars, G. and Spicer, A. (Eds.), Critical Corporation Handbook, Routledge Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
Journal articles (13)
- Veldman, J. (2018). The Separate Legal Entity and the Architecture of the Modern Corporation. .
- Veldman, J. (2018). Inequality, Inc. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. doi:10.1016/j.cpa.2018.04.001.
- Morrow, P. and Veldman, J. (2017). The Purpose of the Corporation. .
- Lazonick, W., Blankenburg, S., Froud, J., O’Sullivan, M.A., Sauviat, C., Reberioux, A. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Economics. .
- Morgan, G., Soederberg, S., Plehwe, D., Horn, L., Jessop, B., Nölke, A. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Politics. .
- Collison, D., Jansson, A., Larsson-Olaison, U., Power, D.M., Cooper, C., Gray, R. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Accounting. University of Alberta School of Business Research Paper, (2016).
- Willmott, H.C., Djelic, M.-.L., Spicer, A., Parker, M., Perrow, C., S. Pugh, D. … Veldman, J. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Management. Humanistic Management Network, Research Paper Series, (51).
- Stout, L.A., Robé, J.-.P., Ireland, P., Deakin, S., Greenfield, K., Johnston, A. … Morrow, P. (2016). The Modern Corporation Statement on Company Law. .
- Beverungen, A., Hoedemaekers, C. and Veldman, J. (2014). Charity and finance in the university. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 25(1), pp. 58–66. doi:10.1016/j.cpa.2012.10.005.
- Veldman, J. and Willmott, H. (2013). What is the corporation and why does it matter? Management (France), 16(5), pp. 605–620.
- Veldman, J. (2013). Politics of the Corporation. British Journal of Management, 24(S3). doi:10.1111/1467-8551.12024.
- Veldman, J. and Parker, M. (2012). Specters, Inc.: The Elusive Basis of the Corporation. Business and Society Review, 117(4), pp. 413–441. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8594.2012.00413.x.
- Veldman, J. (2011). Governance Inc. Business Ethics, 20(3), pp. 292–303. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8608.2011.01628.x.