Ioannis is an Onassis Lecturer* in Finance and the Shipping and Energy Research Programme Lead at The Business School (formerly Cass), City, University of London.
Ioannis studied Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (BEng and MEng). He holds an MSc in Shipping, Trade and Finance, an MRes in Finance, and a PhD in Finance from The Business School (formerly Cass), City, University of London.
He joined The Costas Grammenos Centre for Shipping, Trade and Finance in 2013 as a PhD researcher and he then worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Currencies, as an Onassis Fellow in Shipping Analytics, Finance, and Fintech, and as a Visiting Lecturer in Finance.
Ioannis lectures in quantitative methods, business analytics, corporate strategy, and mathematics for management and finance at BSc, MSc, and GMBA programmes. His areas of research are shipping finance, shipping analytics, and Fintech and his work has been published in leading shipping, commodity, and finance academic journals.
Ioannis has worked as a Supervising Naval Architect and Marine Engineer at the construction of Peers 2 and 3 at the Piraeus Container Terminal in Greece. He has also worked as an academic adviser, analyst, and researcher at the Maritime Directorate of the UK Department for Transport.
*The Onassis Foundation has launched a new partnership with The Business School (formerly Cass), funding a fellowship/lectureship in Shipping Analytics, Finance and Fintech for four academic years (2019-2020 until 2022-2023) and serving the postgraduate MSc Shipping, Energy, Trade & Finance programme. The position has been taken up by Dr Ioannis Moutzouris, who will also be undertaking research work alongside his teaching duties. The Onassis Foundation continues to support the Financial, International Trade and Shipping sectors, in which Aristotle Onassis himself excelled.
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- MRes, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- MSc, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- BSc and MEng, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Onassis Lecturer in Finance, City, University of London, Jan 2021 – present
- Shipping and Energy Research Programme Lead, City, University of London, Aug 2020 – present
- Academic Adviser and Maritime Analyst, UK Department for Transport, Jan 2020 – present
- Onassis Fellow in Shipping Analytics, Fintech and Finance, City, University of London, Dec 2019 – Dec 2020
- Maritime Analyst, UK Department for Transport, Aug 2018 – Sep 2019
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Currencies, City, University of London, Mar 2018 – Nov 2019
- Visiting Lecturer in Finance, City, University of London, Sep 2017 – Nov 2019
- Teaching and Research Assistant in Finance, City, University of London, Sep 2015 – Aug 2017
English and Greek, Modern (1453-).
- Mathematical & Quantitative Methods
- Shipping, Trade & Finance
- Asset Pricing
- Asset Valuation
- Corporate Finance
- Digital Economy
- Europe - Western
Journal articles (3)
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2020). Asset pricing with mean reversion: The case of ships. Journal of Banking and Finance, 111. doi:10.1016/j.jbankfin.2019.105708.
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2019). The formation of forward freight agreement rates in dry bulk shipping: Spot rates, risk premia, and heterogeneous expectations. Journal of Futures Markets, 39(8), pp. 1008–1031. doi:10.1002/fut.21980.
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2019). Earnings yield and predictability in the dry bulk shipping industry. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 125, pp. 140–159. doi:10.1016/j.tre.2019.03.009.