Ioannis is an Onassis Fellow* in Shipping Analytics, Finance and Fintech and the Shipping and Energy Research Programme Lead at the Business School (formerly Cass), City, University of London.
Ioannis studied Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (BEng and MEng). He holds an MSc in Shipping, Trade and Finance, an MRes in Finance, and a PhD in Finance from Cass Business School, City, University of London. He joined The Costas Grammenos Centre for Shipping, Trade and Finance in 2013 as a PhD researcher and he then worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Currencies and as a Visiting Lecturer. He lectures in quantitative methods, principles of finance, corporate strategy, and mathematics for management and finance at BSc, MSc, and GMBA programmes. His areas of research are Shipping Analytics, Shipping Finance, and Fintech and his work has been published in leading shipping, commodity, and finance academic journals.
Ioannis has worked as a Supervising Naval Architect and Marine Engineer at the construction of Peers 2 and 3 at the Piraeus Container Terminal in Greece. He has also worked as an academic adviser, analyst, and researcher at the Maritime Directorate of the UK Department for Transport, where he delivered a series of maritime seminars.
*The Onassis Foundation has launched a new partnership with Cass Business School, funding a fellowship in Shipping Analytics, Finance and Fintech for four academic years (2019-2020 until 2022-2023) and serving the postgraduate MSc Shipping, Energy, Trade & Finance programme. The position has been taken up by Dr Ioannis Moutzouris, who will also be undertaking research work alongside his teaching duties. The Onassis Foundation continues to support the Financial, International Trade and Shipping sectors, in which Aristotle Onassis himself excelled.
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- MRes, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- MSc, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- BSc and MEng, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Shipping and Energy Research Programme Lead, City, University of London, Aug 2020 – present
- Academic Adviser and Analyst, Maritime Directorate, UK Department for Transport, Jan 2020 – present
- Onassis Fellow in Shipping Analytics, Fintech and Finance, City, University of London, Dec 2019 – present
- Maritime Analyst, UK Department for Transport, Aug 2018 – Sep 2019
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Currencies, City, University of London, Mar 2018 – Nov 2019
- Visiting Lecturer in Finance, City, University of London, Sep 2017 – Nov 2019
- Teaching and Research Assistant in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Sep 2015 – Aug 2017
English and Greek, Modern (1453-).
- Digital Economy
- Mathematical & Quantitative Methods
- Shipping, Trade & Finance
- Asset Pricing
- Asset Valuation
- Corporate Finance
- Europe - Western
Journal articles (3)
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2020). Asset pricing with mean reversion: The case of ships. Journal of Banking and Finance, 111. doi:10.1016/j.jbankfin.2019.105708.
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2019). The formation of forward freight agreement rates in dry bulk shipping: Spot rates, risk premia, and heterogeneous expectations. Journal of Futures Markets, 39(8), pp. 1008–1031. doi:10.1002/fut.21980.
- Moutzouris, I.C. and Nomikos, N.K. (2019). Earnings yield and predictability in the dry bulk shipping industry. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 125, pp. 140–159. doi:10.1016/j.tre.2019.03.009.