- +44 (0)20 7040 8460
- +44 (0)20 7040 8460
106 Bunhill Row
Costas Andriopoulos is a Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. He joined Cass Business School in September 2014. Before joining Cass, Costas held a Chair in Strategy at Cardiff Business School, and, prior to that held posts at Brunel Business School, University of Aberdeen Business School and the University of Strathclyde Business School. He has also been a visiting Professor at Said Business School (University of Oxford), Indian Institute of Management (Ahmedabad), Grenoble Ecole de Management, International Hellenic University, and ALBA Graduate Business School.
His main research interests focus on how organizational paradoxes enable innovation in the face of changing technological environments. In particular, he studies how entrepreneurial firms in high-velocity markets can excel at both incremental (exploiting current capabilities) and discontinuous innovation (exploring into new space).
His research, funded by the Carnegie Trust and the Institute for Innovation & Information Productivity has been published in leading academic journals such as Organization Science, Human Relations, Long Range Planning, California Management Review, European Journal of Marketing, International Small Business Journal, among others. He is the co-author of the book “Managing Change, Creativity and Innovation” (2nd Edition, Sage, 2014). Currently Professor Andriopoulos is working on a book about corporate curiosity.
Professor Andriopoulos is an award-winning teacher. He teaches New Venture Creation at the EMBA programme and New Product Innovation at the MSc in Marketing Strategy and Innovation at Cass Business School. He has taught executive and senior leadership teams how to manage organizational change and innovation, high-performing teams, entrepreneurial/design thinking, strategic paradoxes and breakthrough innovation. In his teaching, he systematically intertwines theory and practical application (e.g. teaching cases, simulations, in-class exercises).
You can follow him on Twitter @candriopoulos. For more information, you can also check his personal website: http://www.andriopoulos.org
BSc, MSc and PhD.
French and Greek, Modern (1453-).
- Innovation & Creativity
- Organization Theory
- Organizational Behaviour
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Strategic Management
- Design Thinking
- Family Businesses
- creative industries
- high technology
- professional services
- r&d organizations
- Americas - North
Organizing ambidexterity over time
Paradoxical cognition in New Product Development Teams
- (2017). The Oxford Handbook of Organizational Paradox. In Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-875442-8.
Journal articles (23)
- Andriopoulos, C., Gotsi, M., Lewis, M.W. and Ingram, A.E. (2018). Turning the Sword: How NPD Teams Cope with Front-End Tensions. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 35(3), pp. 427–445. doi:10.1111/jpim.12423.
- Heracleous, L., Papachroni, A., Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2017). Structural ambidexterity and competency traps: Insights from Xerox PARC. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 117, pp. 327–338. doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2016.11.014.
- Habjan, A., Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2014). The role of GPS-enabled information in transforming operational decision making: an exploratory study. European Journal of Information Systems, 23(4), pp. 481–502. doi:10.1057/ejis.2014.2.
- Lewis, M.W., Andriopoulos, C. and Smith, W.K. (2014). Paradoxical Leadership to Enable Strategic Agility. California Management Review, 56(3), pp. 58–77. doi:10.1525/cmr.2014.56.3.58.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Slater, S. (2013). Exploring the landscape of qualitative research in international marketing. International Marketing Review, 30(4), pp. 384–412. doi:10.1108/imr-03-2012-0061.
- Georgiou, C., Dodd, S.D., Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2013). Exploring the potential impact of colonialism on national patterns of entrepreneurial networking. International Small Business Journal, 31(2), pp. 217–224. doi:10.1177/0266242611404261.
- Melewar, T.C., Gotsi, M. and Andriopoulos, C. (2012). Shaping the research agenda for corporate branding: avenues for future research. European Journal of Marketing, 46(5), pp. 600–608. doi:10.1108/03090561211235138.
- Lopez, C., Gotsi, M. and Andriopoulos, C. (2011). Conceptualising the influence of corporate image on country image. European Journal of Marketing, 45(11/12), pp. 1601–1641. doi:10.1108/03090561111167315.
- Zampetakis, L.A., Gotsi, M., Andriopoulos, C. and Moustakis, V. (2011). Creativity and Entrepreneurial Intention in Young People. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 12(3), pp. 189–199. doi:10.5367/ijei.2011.0037.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2010). Lessons from a creative culture. Design Management Journal (Former Series), 13(2), pp. 57–63. doi:10.1111/j.1948-7169.2002.tb00309.x.
- Gotsi, M., Andriopoulos, C., Lewis, M.W. and Ingram, A.E. (2010). Managing creatives: Paradoxical approaches to identity regulation. Human Relations, 63(6), pp. 781–805. doi:10.1177/0018726709342929.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Lewis, M.W. (2010). Managing Innovation Paradoxes: Ambidexterity Lessons from Leading Product Design Companies. Long Range Planning, 43(1), pp. 104–122. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2009.08.003.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Lewis, M.W. (2009). Exploitation-Exploration Tensions and Organizational Ambidexterity: Managing Paradoxes of Innovation. Organization Science, 20(4), pp. 696–717. doi:10.1287/orsc.1080.0406.
- Gotsi, M., Andriopoulos, C. and Wilson, A. (2008). Corporate re‐branding: is cultural alignment the weakest link? Management Decision, 46(1), pp. 46–57. doi:10.1108/00251740810846734.
- Gotsi, M. and Andriopoulos, C. (2007). Understanding the pitfalls in the corporate rebranding process. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 12(4), pp. 341–355. doi:10.1108/13563280710832506.
- Malakate, A., Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2007). Assessing Job Candidates' Creativity: Propositions and Future Research Directions. Creativity and Innovation Management, 16(3), pp. 307–316. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8691.2007.00437.x.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2006). Probing the future: Mobilising foresight in multiple-product innovation firms. Futures, 38(1), pp. 50–66. doi:10.1016/j.futures.2005.04.003.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2005). The Virtues of 'Blue Sky' Projects: How Lunar Design Taps into the Power of Imagination. Creativity and Innovation Management, 14(3), pp. 316–324. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8691.2005.00350.x.
- Andriopoulos, C. (2003). Six Paradoxes in Managing Creativity: An Embracing Act. Long Range Planning, 36(4), pp. 375–388. doi:10.1016/s0024-6301(03)00071-2.
- Andriopoulos, C. (2001). Determinants of organisational creativity: a literature review. Management Decision, 39(10), pp. 834–841. doi:10.1108/00251740110402328.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2001). ‘Living’ the Corporate Identity: Case Studies from the Creative Industry. Corporate Reputation Review, 4(2), pp. 144–154. doi:10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540139.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Lowe, A. (2000). Enhancing organisational creativity: the process of perpetual challenging. Management Decision, 38(10), pp. 734–742. doi:10.1108/00251740010379768.
- Andriopoulos, C. and Gotsi, M. (2000). Benchmarking brand management in the creative industry. Benchmarking: An International Journal, 7(5), pp. 360–372. doi:10.1108/14635770010359900.
- Long Range Planning, Member of Editorial Board, 2014 – present.