- +44 (0)20 7040 5242
- +44 (0) 207040 5242
106 Bunhill Row
Dr Bryce's multi-method research spans from human behaviour in financial organisations to the effect of regulation, incentive structures and employee bench-marking on organisational behaviour within the aviation and financial services industry. His research focus has been grounded in the areas of error-reporting climate, and the effects of risk events on the market sentiment of financial services organisations and is currently a Co-investigator on a Department for International Development (DFID) research grant investigating Anti-Bribery and Corruption across multiple countries. His previous research has also been funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), private organisations, professional bodies, and internal research excellence grants across multiple universities.
Dr Bryce has authored multiple industry reports on risk management spanning from the role of leadership in boardroom strategic decision making through to embedding risk management frameworks in FTSE 100 companies. He also has an interest in the relationship between incentive structures, biases, and decision making within multiple industries, including research assessment in higher education and personal finance. His research and opinions have attracted widespread global media coverage – he has written op-eds for business magazines and had his research featured/mentioned in dozens of popular media outlets from all over the world including outlets like the Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.
Dr Bryce has a broad experience in teaching on topics including Operational Risk Management, Financial Services, Social Psychology, Insurance, and Financial Regulation. Currently Dr Bryce sits on the Health and Safety, and Research Ethics Committee of Cass Business School.
- Visiting Lecturer, London School of Economics and Political Science, Jan – May 2017
- Chief Examiner - Certificate in Operational Risk Management, Institute of Operational Risk, Aug 2016 – present
- Chief Examiner - Advanced Certificate in Operational Risk, Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, Sep 2014 – Sep 2016
- Assistant Professor in Risk, University of Nottingham, Sep 2012 – Aug 2018
- Examiner - Advanced Certificate in Operational Risk, Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment,, Sep 2011 – Aug 2014
- Lecturer in Risk and Financial Services, Glasgow Caledonian University, Sep 2010 – Aug 2012
- Financial Regulation
- Risk Management
- Decision Theory
- accountancy firms
- financial services
- information technology
- Simper, R., Dadoukis, A. and Bryce, C. (2019). European bank loan loss provisioning and technological innovative progress. International Review of Financial Analysis, 63, pp. 119–130. doi:10.1016/j.irfa.2019.03.001.
Journal articles (12)
- Bryce, C., Dowling, M. and Lucey, B. (2020). The Journal Quality Perception Gap. Research Policy.
- Bryce, C., Chmura, T., Webb, R., Stiebale, J. and Cheevers, C. (2019). Internally Reporting Risk in Financial Services: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Business Ethics, 156(2), pp. 493–512. doi:10.1007/s10551-017-3530-6.
- Bryce, C., Dowling, M. and Lucey, B. (2018). To truly judge the quality of research, read it. Time Higher Education.
- Barakat, A., Ashby, S., Fenn, P. and Bryce, C. (2018). Operational Risk and Reputation in Financial Institutions: Does Media Tone Make a Difference? Journal of Banking and Finance. doi:10.1016/j.jbankfin.2018.10.007.
- Bryce, C., Webb, R., Cheevers, C., Ring, P. and Clark, G. (2016). Should the insurance industry be banking on risk escalation for solvency II? International Review of Financial Analysis, 46, pp. 131–139. doi:10.1016/j.irfa.2016.04.014.
- Ring, P.J., Bryce, C., McKinney, R. and Webb, R. (2016). Taking notice of risk culture – the regulator’s approach. Journal of Risk Research, 19(3), pp. 364–387. doi:10.1080/13669877.2014.983944.
- Bryce, C., Dadoukis, A., Hall, M., Nguyen, L. and Simper, R. (2015). An analysis of loan loss provisioning behaviour in Vietnamese banking. Finance Research Letters, 14, pp. 69–75. doi:10.1016/j.frl.2015.05.014.
- WEBB, R.O.B., WATSON, D., RING, P. and BRYCE, C. (2014). Pension Confusion, Uncertainty and Trust in Scotland: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Social Policy, 43(3), pp. 595–613. doi:10.1017/s0047279414000051.
- Bryce, C., Cheevers, C. and Webb, R. (2013). Operational risk escalation: An empirical analysis of UK call centres. International Review of Financial Analysis, 30, pp. 298–307. doi:10.1016/j.irfa.2013.05.002.
- Bryce, C., Webb, R. and Adams, J. (2011). Internal loss data collection implementation: evidence from a large UK financial institution. Journal of Risk Research, 14(10), pp. 1161–1176. doi:10.1080/13669877.2011.591501.
- Webb, R., Bryce, C. and Watson, D. (2010). The effect of building society demutualisation on levels of efficiency at large UK commercial banks. Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, 18(4), pp. 333–355. doi:10.1108/13581981011093668.
- Bryce, C., ring, P., ashby, S. and wardman, J. Resilience in the Face of Uncertainty: Early Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Risk Research.
- To truly judge the quality of research, read it. (2018) To truly judge the quality of research, read it (newspaper).
Online articles (20)
- ACCA calls for better diversity in the boardroom. (2018). Business Insider
- Appropriate risk management is crucial for effective strategic leadership. (2018). MedicalXpress,
- Appropriate risk management is crucial for effective strategic leadership. (2018). Instituto Nacional de Contadores Públicos de Colombia
- RISK MANAGEMENT CRUCIAL TO EFFECTIVE STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP, SAYS ACCA. (2018). The Accountant
- Impact of negative media reports mapped in new study. (2017). Continuity Central
- Impact of negative media reports mapped in new study. (2017). Resilience Post
- Tread carefully when reporting operational losses. (2016). Wall Street journal
- Body of Evidence – What can we learn about risk culture from the regulator’. (2015). Risk Management Professional
- Operational risk reporting behaviour and policy dissemination in the selling of financial products in the UK insurance industry’. (2013). Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland- Focus on Research
- When Risk Calls. (2012). Chartered Banker Magazine
- DON’T BE BLIND TO OPPORTUNITY. (2018). The People Development Network
- Risk management is not just about threats, it's about innovation too. (2018). HR Zone
- Achieving strategic goals without considering the risks is a gamble. (2018). Accounting and Business Magazine
- Many UK boardrooms blind to opportunity, ACCA calls for better diversity in the boardroom,. (2018). The HR Director
- Ten questions every board should ask itself about risk management. (2018). HRD Connect
- Appropriate risk management is crucial for effective strategic leadership,. (2018). Boardroom NI
- ACCA: Risk and the Strategic Role of Leadership. (2018). Accounting for Sustainability
- A different approach to risk management. (2019). Accounting and Business Magazine
- ACCA develops "risk gearbox". (2019). Audit and Risk Magazine
- During a viral outbreak the vital work of risk managers is revealed. (2020). Times Higher Education