Anh L. Tran is a Professor of Finance at the Cass Business School of City, University of London, Academic Director of the Cass M&A Research Centre, and a Fellow of the Gupta Governance Institute in Philadelphia. He joined the Faculty of Finance at Cass in August 2010 from Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA. Anh has taught corporate finance classes at both MSc and undergraduate levels. His research interests are in empirical corporate finance, including mergers and acquisitions, institutional investors, executive compensation, and corporate governance.
Anh has published many research articles in world leading journals including Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Management Science. He has received the City University Staff Prize for outstanding research and the Cass Business School Excellent Research Publication Awards. His research has been mentioned in various media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, the Economist, Bloomberg, the New York Times, the Times, Le Monde, Les Echos, etc.
- PhD, Drexel University, United States, 2010
- Professor of Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2020 – present
- Reader (Associate Professor) in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2015 – Jul 2020
- Senior Lecturer in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2012 – Jul 2015
- Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2010 – Jul 2012
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, 2020 – present
- Fellow, Gupta Governance Institute, 2019 – present
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Siyang Tian, Research Student
Attendance: Sep 2016 – present, full-time
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2014 – present, full-time
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2012 – present, full-time
Role: 1st Supervisor
Journal articles (7)
- Keswani, A., Tran, A.L. and Volpin, P. (2021). Institutional Debt Holder Governance. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 0, pp. 1–33. doi:10.1017/S0022109020000630.
- Blouin, J., Fich, E.M., Rice, E. and Tran, A.L. (2020). Corporate Tax Cuts, Merger Activity, and Shareholder Wealth. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 0. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2020.101315.
- Keswani, A., Stolin, D. and Tran, A.L. (2017). Frenemies: How do financial firms vote on their own kind? Management Science, 63(3), pp. 631–654. doi:10.1287/mnsc.2015.2314.
- Fich, E.M., Rice, E.M. and Tran, A.L. (2016). Contractual revisions in compensation: Evidence from merger bonuses to target CEOs. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 61(2-3), pp. 338–368. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2015.12.002.
- Fich, E.M., Harford, J. and Tran, A.L. (2015). Motivated monitors: The importance of institutional investors' portfolio weights. Journal of Financial Economics, 118(1), pp. 21–48. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2015.06.014.
- Fich, E.M., Tran, A.L. and Walkling, R.A. (2013). On the importance of golden parachutes. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48(6), pp. 1717–1753. doi:10.1017/S002210901300063X.
- Fich, E.M., Cai, J. and Tran, A.L. (2011). Stock option grants to target CEOs during private merger negotiations. Journal of Financial Economics, 101(2), pp. 413–430. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.03.010.
Editorial activity (3)
- European Journal of Finance, Associate editor, 2020 – present.
- Corporate Governance: An International Review, Editorial board member, 2019 – present.
- Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Empirical Finance, European Financial Management, European Journal of Finance, Financial Review, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Managerial Finance, Emerging Market Finance and Trade, Referee.
- Annual Cass Mergers and Acquisitions Research Centre Conference. (Conference) http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/research-and-faculty/centres/marc (2016). Organising Committee.