Anh L. Tran is a Reader / Associate Professor of Finance at the Cass Business School of City University London, Academic Director of the Cass M&A Research Centre, and a Fellow of the Gupta Governance Institute in Philadelphia. He joined the Faculty of Finance at Cass in August 2010 from Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA. Anh has taught corporate finance classes at both MSc and undergraduate levels. His research interests are in empirical corporate finance, including mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation, and corporate governance among others.
In his recent research, Anh studies firm-value effects of managerial compensation during mergers and acquisitions and other important aspects of corporate governance affecting shareholder wealth. His research on stock option grants was cited in a front page article of the Wall Street Journal. Anh's other research has also been mentioned in various media outlets including Bloomberg, the New York Times, the Times, Le Monde, Les Echos, the Financial Times, the Economist, etc.
Anh has published research articles in leading journals including Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Management Science. He has received the City University Staff Prize for outstanding research (2013) and the Cass Business School Excellent Research Publication Awards (2012 and 2014).
- Reader in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2015 – present
- Senior Lecturer in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2012 – Jul 2015
- Lecturer in Finance, Cass Business School, City, University of London, Aug 2010 – Jul 2012
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, 2020 – present
- Fellow, Gupta Governance Institute, 2019 – present
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Siyang Tian, PhD Student
Attendance: Sep 2016 – present, full-time
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2014 – present, full-time
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2012 – present, full-time
Role: 1st Supervisor
Journal articles (6)
- Blouin, J., Fich, E.M., Rice, E. and Tran, A.L. (2020). Corporate Tax Cuts, Merger Activity, and Shareholder Wealth. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 69(2-3). doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2020.101315.
- Keswani, A., Stolin, D. and Tran, A.L. (2017). Frenemies: How do financial firms vote on their own kind? Management Science, 63(3), pp. 631–654. doi:10.1287/mnsc.2015.2314.
- Fich, E.M., Rice, E.M. and Tran, A.L. (2016). Contractual revisions in compensation: Evidence from merger bonuses to target CEOs. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 61(2-3), pp. 338–368. doi:10.1016/j.jacceco.2015.12.002.
- Fich, E.M., Harford, J. and Tran, A.L. (2015). Motivated monitors: The importance of institutional investors' portfolio weights. Journal of Financial Economics, 118(1), pp. 21–48. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2015.06.014.
- Fich, E.M., Tran, A.L. and Walkling, R.A. (2013). On the importance of golden parachutes. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48(6), pp. 1717–1753. doi:10.1017/S002210901300063X.
- Fich, E.M., Cai, J. and Tran, A.L. (2011). Stock option grants to target CEOs during private merger negotiations. Journal of Financial Economics, 101(2), pp. 413–430. doi:10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.03.010.
- Tian, S. and Tran, A. Cross-border Buyout Performance.
- 8.2015 - present, Cass Mergers and Acquisitions Research Centre, Academic Director
Editorial activity (3)
- European Journal of Finance, Associate editor, 2020 – present.
- Corporate Governance: An International Review, Editorial board member, 2019 – present.
- Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Empirical Finance, European Financial Management, European Journal of Finance, Financial Review, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, Managerial Finance, Emerging Market Finance and Trade, Referee.
- Annual Cass Mergers and Acquisitions Research Centre Conference. (Conference) http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/research-and-faculty/centres/marc (2016). Organising Committee.
Media appearances (24)
- Special purpose, special incentives. (2014) Findings.
- Do CEO merger bonuses reduce takeover premiums? (2013) financial news.
- The value of merger bonuses. (2013) fox business.com (website).
- CEO's get merger bonus when selling firms cheaply. (2013) news blaze.com (website).
- Can Huge CEO Golden Parachutes Hurt You. (2012) USNews.com (website).
- golden parachute seems to be rusting. (2012) USNews.com (website).
- Rip-cord economics. (2012) The Economist (magazine).
- Les parachutes dore peuvent nuire aux auctionnaires. (2011) Les Echos (newspaper).
- Salaries, actionnaires: meme combat? (2011) Le Monde (newspaper).
- Salaries, actionnaires: meme combat? (2011) www.monde.fr (website).
- Parachutes dores et rachats d'enterprises. (2011) www.lesechos.fr (website).
- +10% pour un dirigeant sur le dŽpart Žgale -5% pour la sociŽtŽ (Žtude). (2011) www.sicavonline.fr (website).
- +10% pour un dirigeant sur le dŽpart Žgale -5% pour la sociŽte (Žtude) :. (2011) Boursorama.
- +10% pour un dirigeant sur le dŽpart Žgale -5% pour la sociŽtŽ (Žtude). (2011) www.boursereflex.fr (website).
- (2011) zonebourse.
- Parachute dore et acquisition. (2011) NewsBanque.
- (2011) www.easybourse.fr (website).
- Parachute dore et acquisition. (2011) www.banquefinance.fr (website).
- Les parachutes dores present sur la performance des patrons. (2011) www.infos.actusite.fr (website).
- (2011) www.capgestion.fr (website).
- Shareholders lose out in takeovers. (2011) www.acqmagazine.com (website).
- (2011) Times (newspaper).
- (2011) Deal Book.
- (2011) Bloomberg.