Aspiring Chief Executives
Our Aspiring Chief Executives Programme (ACE) is ideal for busy nonprofit leaders who want to stretch themselves, to learn, and who feel ready to take that step up to become chief executives
All of our part-time charities master’s degrees, professional development programmes and events are being delivered online during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We will be using different platforms and programme formats in order to ensure that all our programmes offer a high-quality, varied and engaging learning experience.
The latest information about City, University of London’s response to the pandemic can be found on the students and visitors page.
Our staff, consultants and faculty remain dedicated to supporting our clients during this challenging time; please feel free to reach out with any questions or requests to CCE@city.ac.uk.
This programme will consist of thirteen half day online workshops on the following dates:
Module 1: Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th September 2021
Action Learning Set 1: Friday 8th October 2021
Module 2: Thursday 4th & Friday 5th November 2021
Module 3: Thursday 2nd & Friday 3rd December 2021
Action learning Set 2: Friday 21st January 2022
Module 4: Thursday 3rd & Friday 4th February 2022
Action Learning Set 3: Friday 11th March 2022
Module 5: Thursday 31st March & Friday 1st April 2022
All module workshops will run from 09:00 to 13:00 and Action Learning Set sessions will run from 09:00 to 12:00.
This programme costs £1845pp. VAT is not charged.
This programme fee covers the ten half-day online workshops, three half-day online Action Learning Sets, and all programme materials and administration.
The programme will be co-facilitated by programme leaders Christine Fogg and Tammy Tawadros. You will also hear from a range of other external speakers and sector experts.
Christine is a consultant and visiting fellow within CCE, where she has worked for over ten years. She specialises in coaching, mentoring and facilitation, organisational capacity building and leadership development.
Tammy is a consultant and visiting lecturer with CCE. She is an executive coach, organisational consultant and work psychologist. Tammy has many years’ experience of the design and delivery of a broad range of leadership, organisational development and culture change initiatives.
Supported by the Worshipful Company of Management Consultants Charitable fund, the funding arm of The Worshipful Company of Management Consultants (registered charity number 1059212).
Why choose our Aspiring Chief Executive Programme?
This flagship programme has been completely redesigned using a series of fresh, engaging, and highly participative, live online modules delivered by CCE's leadership development specialist tutors, with contributions from other subject matter experts and current non-profit CEOs. The programme combines online workshops, action learning sets and other course materials and activities to support reflection, interactive group and peer learning, and the practical application of new thinking to emerging and real-world challenges.
"A programme I would very much recommend to colleagues and one I hope to support my organisation's Service Directors to attend in due course."
- Paul Gartland, Horton Housing Association
Who should attend
Aspiring Chief Executives has been designed specifically for senior leaders who are already employed within the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector, who would like to enhance their senior leadership capabilities or who are considering the step up to a chief executive position.
To be eligible for the programme you will need to be currently in a post reporting directly to a chief executive and leading a team of staff. If you are unsure about your eligibility for this programme please contact us at CCE@city.ac.uk
What you will gain
- Develop your leadership presence, your personal leadership capability, and build your confidence to lead with agility.
- Expand your repertoire of abilities and skills in complex adaptive leadership -understand how to improve organisational effectiveness through operational flexibility, responsive financial leadership, and sustainable strategy.
- Hone your virtual leadership abilities- enhance your online presence, communication and leadership of remote teams.
- Build an enduring peer support network for your ongoing development and your future career.
- Appraise the role of chief executive, understand the behaviour and qualities required of the role and stretch yourself in your current role.
- Determine how to shape an organisation through positive relationships, dialogue and action, enabling you to influence the chair and board, to engage stakeholders, and to incorporate diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Be inspired by the career experiences of successful nonprofit chief executives and get robust coaching from peers on how to apply these leadership frameworks to the practical challenges you face in the workplace.
"It was a truly excellent experience. I have acquired a whole new toolkit that will enable me to be a better leader both in my current role and in any future CEO roles. I have also gained a very valuable network through the course tutors and my fellow participants. I would recommend it highly to senior leaders in charitable organisations looking to progress into CEO roles."