New Chief Executives
This five-day training programme takes place over three month’s to suit the busy schedules of new chief executives and designed to provide them with in-depth professional development opportunities
17 March 2020
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, and to ensure the safety of staff, students and delegates, teaching at Cass Business School has been suspended for the rest of the academic year.
As a consequence, Cass CCE are postponing all events and professional development programmes, due to take place in April, May or June until the autumn. A decision regarding events scheduled to take place in July will be made as soon as we have more information on how the situation is likely to unfold.
If you have already registered for a programme or event, we will be in touch individually once alternate dates are available. Please be assured that any fees paid will be carried over to the revised dates.
We are grateful for your patience at this difficult time for everyone.
Centre for Charity Effectiveness
Programme Dates 2020
Our next New Chief Executives programme is now scheduled to take place in Autumn 2020:
Module 1: Thursday 15th & Friday 16th October 2020
Module 2: Thursday 12th & Friday 13th November 2020
Module 3: Friday 11th December 2020
Modules 1 & 2 take place over two consecutive days, with a follow-up one-day module (3) to embed the learning. Please be aware that you need to be able to attend all the dates on the programme. If you have any queries, please contact us.
The programme costs £1,745 per person. VAT is not charged.
This cost covers all five days, food and refreshments included, as well as the one-to-one coaching, 360-degree feedback, the dinner and the drinks reception. However, the cost of overnight accommodation, travel and other expenses is not covered.
Our tutors speak with authority, many from their experiences as chief executives. The programme is led by James Barrett, former CEO of The HIV Project.
During the course of the programme you will hear from sector experts Caroline Copeman, Fiona Ash and George Levvy.
Why choose our New Chief Executives Programme?
At a time when many nonprofit organisations are confronted by extraordinary challenges, our New Chief Executives Programme (NCE) offers a high quality, practice-based, value-for-money learning experience. Led by James Barrett, with a team of our consultants and guest speakers from the sector, it is designed to invest new chief executives with high-level strategic expertise and awareness of their personal impact. You will be empowered to lead your organisation confidently, dynamically and effectively in a fast-changing world.
“Undoubtedly the best training course I have ever done! Truly inspirational challenging and emotional. Thank you!”
- Roger Clark, Chief Executive, West London Mission
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at new chief executives with up to two years' experience in their current role, who lead a team of staff and who are already familiar with the nonprofit sector.
Please contact us if you are interested but fall outside of this requirement.
The New Chief Executives Programme structure
This highly participative programme has been designed to provide in-depth professional development opportunities at a pace to suit busy chief executives.
The programme is divided into three parts: two intensive two-day modules, and a follow-up one-day module to further embed the learning. There are evening units and social events, with options for preparatory reading and inter-module activities. You also receive 360-degree feedback using the recognised Outstanding Leadership competencies, and an individual coaching session to support you to interpret your profile.
The programme provides a comprehensive foundation in the range of skills, knowledge and behaviours required for the demanding role of chief executive, along with greater self awareness - making use of expert presentations and robust supporting materials. By weaving in your personal case studies, peer coaching, and genuine workplace issues, the programme is current and relevant, and grounded in the practical realities of the chief executive's role. The emphasis on self-reflection, action learning, and continuing professional development, ensures sustainable learning well beyond the life of the programme.
What you will gain
- Develop your unique leadership presence, feel confident in your role as Chief Executive, and build an enduring peer support network to enable you to meet the demands of your new role
- Explore the behaviours and qualities of an outstanding charity leader, gain insights into the impact of your own leadership style using the Outstanding Leadership framework, and design a professional development plan for your continued career success
- Drive organisational effectiveness: understand how to bring about sustainable organisational change, acquire financial acumen, sharpen your strategic thinking, and expand your knowledge of relationships in the sector
- Transform and position your organisation through powerful relationships: align your chair and board, build the top team, understand your organisation’s dynamics, engage your stakeholders, and work effectively with conflict and difference
- Be inspired by a pioneering nonprofit sector leader, and get robust coaching from peers on how to apply this programme to the practical challenges you face in the workplace.
“Loved it. Great to have some time to reflect on myself, my organisation, my style of leadership. I really enjoyed the psychological elements and learning.”
- Eugenie Harvey, Chief Executive, The Funding Network