Aspiring Chief Executives
This intensive five-day training course takes place over three months and is designed to empower nonprofit leaders who want to become chief executives.
Programme Dates 2019
The next Aspiring Chief Executives programme will run on the dates below:
Module 1: Thursday 10th & Friday 11th October
Module 2 : Thursday 14th & Friday 15th November
Module 3: Friday 6th December
Modules 1 & 2 take place over two consecutive days, with a follow-up one-day module (3) to embed the learning. Please be aware that you need to be able to attend all the dates on the programme. If you have any queries, please contact us.
The programme costs £1,745 per person. VAT is not charged.
This cost covers all five days, food & drink included, as well as the one-to-one coaching, 360-degree feedback, the dinner and the drinks reception. However, the cost of overnight accommodation, travel and other expenses is not covered.
Our tutors speak with authority, many from their experiences as chief executives. The programme is led by James Barrett, former CEO of The HIV Project, and is supported by George Levvy, former CEO of the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
During the course of the programme you will also hear from Kai Adams, Head of Charities and Social Enterprise at Green Park, a specialist recruitment agency and sector experts Caroline Copeman and Fiona Ash.
Why choose our Aspiring Chief Executive Programme?
Designed to empower nonprofit leaders who want to take that step up to become chief executives, our Aspiring Chief Executives Programme (ACF) will increase your confidence and ability to excel in your current leadership role, appraise the post of chief executive as a future career option, and build your leadership toolkit and leadership presence to maximise your potential as a future chief executive.
"A programme I would very much recommend to colleagues and one I hope to support my organisation's Service Directors to attend in due course."
- Paul Gartland, Horton Housing Association
Who should attend
This course has been designed specifically for senior leaders who are already employed within the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector, considering the step up to a chief executive position.
Please contact us if you are interested but fall outside of this requirement.
The unique delivery of our Aspiring Chief Executives Programme
The Aspiring Chief Executives programme is delivered as two intensive two-day modules and a follow-up, one day module to further embed the learning. There are evening units and social events, with options for preparatory reading and inter-module activities.
You will receive 360-degree feedback using the recognised Outstanding Leadership competencies framework in an individual coaching session to interpret your profile and start your personal development planning towards becoming a chief executive.
We encourage each participant to have a career stretching project in mind and to develop it whilst on the programme. We weave these experiences into modules, along with peer coaching and genuine case studies, which keep the programme current and grounded in the practical realities of non-profit leadership.
The purpose of our Aspiring Chief Executives Programme
To empower those aspiring to become charity chief executives: to increase their confidence and excel in their current leadership roles; to appraise the role of chief executive as a future career option; and to build their leadership toolkit, so as to maximise their potential as future chief executives.
What you will gain
- Develop your unique leadership presence, feel confident in your leadership role, and build an enduring peer support network for your future career
- Explore the behaviours and qualities of an outstanding charity leader, gain insights into the impact of your leadership style using the Outstanding Leadership framework, and design your professional development plan to progress to chief executive
- Appraise the role of chief executive, understand the behaviour and qualities required of the role – and stretch yourself in your current role through a transformational project
- Expand your chief executive’s leadership toolkit for organisational effectiveness – understand how to bring about sustainable organisational change, acquire financial acumen, and sharpen your strategic thinking
- Determine how to shape an organisation through relationship management - influence the chair and board, build the top team, understand organisational dynamics, engage stakeholders, and work effectively with conflict and difference
- Be inspired by the career experiences of a successful third sector chief executive, and get robust coaching from peers on how to apply these leadership frameworks to the practical challenges you face in the workplace.
"It was a truly excellent experience. I have acquired a whole new toolkit that will enable me to be a better leader both in my current role and in any future CEO roles. I have also gained a very valuable network through the course tutors and my fellow participants. I would recommend it highly to senior leaders in charitable organisations looking to progress into CEO roles."