- Comment on the UK’s ‘missing’ bank notes – MSN News December 2020
- Comment about the economic impact of ‘Lockdown 2’ – VOX November 2020
- Interview about London’s financial status post-Brexit – BBC Radio London November 2020
- Interview about London’s financial status post-Brexit – Euronews November 2020
- Comments about economic support in pandemic – Bloomberg October 2020
- Article about Conduct Costs project findings – Euractiv October 2020
- Research into London’s financial power post-Brexit – WallStreet Italia and Economy September 2020
- Conduct Costs Report launch – S&P Global, L’Agefi Quotidien, FONDS Professionell September 2020
The Centre for Banking Research’s Conduct Costs Project report and launch, revealing the cost of misconduct in Europe’s largest banks gained coverage in the UK and across the continent in S&P Global, L’Agefi Quotidien and FONDS Professionell among others.
- Interview about suspicious money flows – BFM September 2020
- Comment on the value of Bitcoin – The National August 2020
- Comment on Tanzanian Government’s GDP figures – The Economist July 2020
- Comment about non-performing loans in Italy – S&P Global July 2020
- Comment on doValue and the likelihood of credit default in Italy – S&P Global July 2020
- Comment on flexibility of bank lending to small companies – Global Capital June 2020
- Comment on Government response to pandemic – VOX June 2020
Professor Thorsten Beck contributed to a survey on how the Government should response to the pandemic crisis in Vox, and was quoted in its report about the scale and duration of the pandemic and the role of consols in supporting economic recovery.
- Interview about the impact of the pandemic on fintech – Business Community June 2020
- Interview about bankers working from home – S&P Global May 2020
- Comment on behavioural changes in financial monitoring, due to remote working – S&P Global May 2020
- Broadcast interview looking at what is next for the global economy – Bloomberg TV April 2020
- Comment on harsher penalties for money laundering during coronavirus pandemic – S&P Global April 2020
- Comment on gender diversity in banks during coronavirus pandemic – S&P Global April 2020
- Thought leadership about lessening the economic impact of Covid-19 – Euromoney and VOX March 2020
Professor Thorsten Beck’s chapter for a new book examining the economic impact of coronavirus by the CEPR received a mention in Euromoney and VOX, where he gave a video interview about what governments should do to lessen the impact of economic collapse.
- Comments on research into consequences of banning short-selling – S&P Global, The Times and Il Sole 24 Ore March 2020
Dr Daniela Fabbri spoke with S&P Global about the likely effects of a temporary ban on short-selling in Spain and Italy, following government action as a result of stock market crashes due to coronavirus.
- Comments on the impact of mortgage holidays – S&P Global March 2020
- Thought leadership on research into gender diversity in bank boardrooms – Le Monde March 2020
- Broadcast interview about London’s financial sector after Brexit – BBC World Service January 2020
- Gender diversity research – CityWire Italia, France Inter, Patria Latina and Prima Pagina News January 2020
Professor Barbara Casu Lukac and Dr Angela Gallo’s research that showed banks can reduce financial penalties with increased gender diversity in the boardroom received coverage in CityWire Italia, France Inter, Patria Latina and Prima Pagina News.
- Comment on continued tensions between the UK and China following the launch of the Shanghai-London Stock Connect, which allows companies on one stock exchange to launch on another – The Times 2020
- Interview on Andrew Bailey’s appointment as Governor of the Bank of England – S&P Global 2019
- Interview about gender diversity in the boardrooms of banks – S&P Global 2019
Dr Angela Gallo spoke with S&P Global about research carried out by herself and Professor Barbara Casu Lukac that suggests that greater gender diversity in bank boardrooms can reduce their financial penalties.
Read the press release by City, University of London.
- Comment on Bank of England Stress test – Bloomberg December 2019
- Comment on Italian banks’ challenges with toxic debt – S&P Global 2019
- Cass academics launch Banking Business Models 2019 Europe tool for assessing the performance of different banking structures
Professor Rym Ayadi and Professor Barbara Casu Lukac released the Banking Business Models (BBM) 2019 Europe tool in collaboration with academic experts from the Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA) and the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS).
The BBM Monitor is the latest iteration of a tool which identifies the business models of more than 3,000 banks to compare and analyse their behaviour.
Read the press release by City, University of London. Professor Ayadi attended the launch of BBM at a breakfast conference in Brussels.
- Comment on Morgan Stanley FX Traders Loss – Bloomberg November 2019
- Sibos 2019 speech highlights – Fintech Futures and Soundcloud 2019
- Interview about cashless society – Vice UK 2019
- Interview about Brexit and non-EU banks – Rai 2019
- Interview about Deutsche Bank’s strategy – Quartz 2019
- New paper was published in the Journal of European Finance - City, University of London 2019
Professor Barbara Casu Lukac, Director of the Cass Centre for Banking Research, recently published a paper in the Journal of European Finance which found EU-listed banks with boards that are more diverse in gender, employee representation, internationalisation and age have higher and less volatile performance.
- Workshop on Bank Business Models was held in partnership with Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association - 2019
The Centre for Banking Research at Cass Business School held a workshop to discuss bank business models on Tuesday 19th June. Held in partnership with the Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA), the workshop featured speakers from the Bank of International Settlements, the European Central Bank and universities and banks around the world.
Professor Rym Ayadi of EMEA and Cass Business School also launched her new book, Business Models in banks: definition, identification and financial stability assessment – Europe, United States and Canada at the workshop.
Read the press release by City, University of London.
- Interview on Post Bank – Financial Times 2019
- Interview on Brexit – El Pais 2019
- New report was published on Post-Brexit - City, University of London 2019
Research by the Centre for Banking Research scholars found that although there are some indicators that a post-Brexit London may lose some of its financial services business to EU competitors such as Paris and Frankfurt, there are clear competitive advantages to operating in the City which will be difficult to replace – at least in the short term.
- Comments on Bank Lending – Quartz 2019
- Professor Rym Ayadi was elected Chair of the Banking Stakeholders Group of the European Banking Authority - 2019
Cass Business School is delighted to announce that CBR Honorary Visiting Professor Rym Ayadi, Founding President of the Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA) and Director of the Euro-Mediterranean Network for Economic Studies (EMNES), has been elected Chair of the Banking Stakeholders Group (BSG) of the European Banking Authority (EBA).
Read the press release by City, University of London.
- Professor Thorsten Beck has been appointed a full member of the Advisory Scientific Committee of the European Systematic Risk Board - 2018
Cass Business School is delighted to announce that Professor Thostern Beck has been appointed as a full member of the Advisory Scientific Committee (ASC) of the European Systematic Risk Board. The committee consists of 15 experts representing a wide range of skills, experience and expertise. The ASC contributes to the public debate on macroprudential policy by publishing reports. Past contributions include calls for: credible bank resolution; a European capital markets union; and enhanced disclosure of carbon-intensive assets.
Read the press release by City Press Office.
- Interview on Deutsche Bank payment error story – Bloomberg 2018
- Featured in “Professor’s Picks” – Financial Times 2018
- Quoted in discussing African banks and ‘Africapitalism’ – The Economist 2018
- Interview on Italian budget crisis – AFP 2018
- Comments on Shadow Banking – S&P Global 2018
- Comments on the 10th anniversary of the collapse of Lehman Brothers – Global Banking and Finance Review 2018
Dr Francesc Rodriguez-Tous issued comments on the 10th anniversary of the collapse of Lehman Brothers which were picked up by UK and European finance media including Fintech Finance, GoingPublic.de, Global Banking and Finance Review and Finanzwelt Online.
- Our Workshop was covered – Global Banking and Finance Review 2018
The International Workshop on Financial System Architecture and Stability (IWFSAS), organised by the Centre for Banking Research, was covered by Global Banking and Finance Review.
- Interview on “Financial implications of Brexit” - RAI News 2018
Professor Barbara Casu Lukac was interviewed by RAI News (the Italian equivalent of the BBC) about the financial implications of Brexit. Her research on into board diversity and banking was covered by Financial News, EduBourse , Business Community and Finanzia Operativa.
- Book Review: The Great Economists: How Their Ideas Can Help us Today – FT Adviser 2018
- Book review: Austerity vs Stimulus – FT Adviser 2018
- Book review: Principles of sound management - FT Adviser 2018
- New report was published on UK Post Bank - City, University of London 2017
Research by Professor Barbara Casu Lukac, Dr Angela Gallo and Dr Francesc Rodriguez Tous in the Centre for Banking Research found that establishing a state-owned UK Post Bank would ensure the long-term sustainability of the Post Office by diversifying its portfolio of activities and increasing revenues. The research was commissioned by the Communications Workers Union.
The research was covered exclusively by The Guardian and was covered by the Irish Independent, Irish Times, Private Eye, Politics Home, the Daily Record and Mortgage Solutions. It was also shared with an extensive list of parliamentarians and other stakeholders and was mentioned in a Westminster Hall debate by the Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP.
Read the full report.
- Interview on Fintech – Bloomberg 2017
Dr Angela Gallo gave an interview to Bloomberg (not published yet) on Fintech
- Comments on Brexit and The City - Global Finance Magazine 2017
- Comments on the implications of triggering Article 50 – Forbes 2017
Professors Barbara Casu Lukac and Professor Thorsten Beck provided comment on the implications of triggering Article 50 for business, finance and banking in Forbes, El Pais and La Lettre économique Et Politique de PACA.
- TV Appearance – BBC World and BBC News 24 2017
Professor Thorsten Beck appeared on BBC World and BBC News 24, commenting on US banking results and shareholder expectations.
- Interview on The Fred Goodwin and Royal Bank of Scotland trial – Bloomberg 2017
- Interview on Brexit – Telegiormale 2017
- Comments on European politics – II Foglio 2017
- Interview on Brexit – National Public Radio 2017
- Interview on Islamic Finance in Africa – Economist 2017
- Interview on Car Finance Bubble – S&P Global 2017