Intake: September only
Duration: 12 months full-time
Fees: £18,000 (full-time)
Financial support: Please see our Scholarships page
Application deadline: None - rolling admissions
The MSc in Real Estate Investment is aimed at students wishing to enter or advance their careers in the fields of real estate investment management, real estate finance and the securitised real estate markets. As such, it deals extensively with the growth in the securitised real estate markets of Real Estate Investment Trusts and Mortgage Backed Securities. It also examines the real estate derivatives market.
The programme combines the rigour of a mainstream finance programme with the direct application of financial theory and techniques in a real estate context. To apply for this programme you should have a relevant undergraduate degree or work experience, along with strong quantitative skills.
If you would like to arrange an individual appointment to discuss this programme please email: Jessica.Sprake.firstname.lastname@example.org
We review all our courses regularly to keep them up-to-date on issues of both theory and practice. Therefore, there may be some change to the detailed content of the modules and occasionally to module titles.
To satisfy the requirements of the degree programme students must complete:
- Eight core courses
- Three electives
- Business Research Project
Two Induction Weeks The MSc Real Estate Investment starts with two compulsory induction weeks, focused on:
- an introduction to careers in real estate and the opportunity to speak to representatives from over 75 companies during a number of different industry specific fairs.
- a refresher course of basic financial mathematics, statistics, computing and electronic databases
The teaching staff on the MSc in Real Estate Investment have many years of practical experience working in the sector and are also active researchers in their fields
This knowledge and experience inform the highly interactive lectures that make up the MSc in Real Estate Investment.
Other Module Leaders include:
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) accredits the course, enabling graduates to enter the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC).
The Investment Property Forum in the UK recognises the programme as a gateway to the real estate investment sector and as a clear entry route for membership of the Forum for all candidates aged over 30 with five years appropriate experience.
MSc Research Project
The Project will be of approximately 8,000 words. This offers an opportunity to specialise in a contemporary real estate topic related to students' future careers. The Project should be based on independent research either in the context of a single organisation or using third-party sources.
Students are encouraged from the start of the course to think about a topic for their Project. A member of academic staff supervises the project, and the student may choose whom they would like to work with. The Project must be submitted by the end of August. Company sponsored projects are encouraged and a number of such projects may be available.
Many students use this opportunity to complete a project in conjunction with an organisation they might want to work for. This gets their foot in the door and can lead to permanent employment post programme, whilst earning course credit. Cass Careers Service works to coordinate projects with organisations and students.
Some recent projects:
- The use of Financial Derivatives in the UK Property Market
- Diversification in Equity REIT Portfolios
- The Cyclical Nature of Foreign Investment in the City Office Market
- Short Memory in Modelling and Forecasting Rents
- Private Equity Real Estate & Opportunistic Funds
- Price Discovery in the US & UK Property Market
- An Analysis of REIT Mergers
- The Price/Rent Relationship in the Residential Market
- A Comparison of the Risk Premium on Equities and Property
- The Impact of Residual Values in Debt Securitisation of Property Portfolios
- Property Derivatives and Portfolio Risk Reduction
- Real Estate Structured Finance as an Exit Strategy
The entry requirements for the MSc Real Estate Investment are as follows:
Documents required for decision-making
- Transcript/interim transcript
- Current module list if still studying
- Personal statement (500-600 words)
Documents which may follow at a later date
- IELTS result, if report available
- Confirmation of professional qualification examinations/exemptions/passes, if applicable
- Two references
- Work experience is not a requirement of this course
Please note the GMAT is not required for this programme.
We cannot comment on individual eligibility before you apply and we can only process your application once it is fully complete, with all requested information received.
- A UK 2.1 or above, or the equivalent from an overseas institution
- Applicants for MSc Real Estate Investment will be required to have a broader background in quantitative techniques and finance
Applicants will need to submit two references, one of which MUST be an academic reference.
- If you have been studying in the UK for the last three years it is unlikely that you will have to take the test
- If you have studied a 2+2 degree with just two years in the UK you will be required to provide IELTS results and possibly to resit the tests to meet our requirements.
The required IELTS level is an average of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in writing.
Please note that due to changes in the UKVI's list of SELTs we are no longer able to accept TOEFL as evidence of English language for students who require a CAS as of April 2014.
Work experience is not a requirement, but please provide details of relevant experience that might enhance your profile. This information will be included in your CV which is required with all applications.
Tuition fees and term dates
Tuition fees 2015/16
Application fee: Nil
Tuition fees: £18,000 Currency Converter
Deposit: £2,000 (paid within 1 month of receiving offer)
First installment: Half fees less deposit (paid at registration)
Second installment: Half fees (paid in January following start of programme)
Term dates 2015/6
In-Person Registration (all students must attend): 14 - 18 September 2015
Induction: 14 - 25 September 2015
28 September 2015 - 4 December 2015
Term I exams
11 January 2016 - 22 January 2016
25 January 2016 - 8 April 2016
Term II exams
25 April 2016 - 6 May 2016
16 May 2016 - 24 June 2016
Term III exams
27 June 2016 - 8 July 2016
Submission deadline for Business Research Project
1 September 2016
Official Course End Date
30 September 2016
Graduates from the Cass Real Estate Investment Masters are highly sought after and you will be well placed to take up positions in many areas within real estate. These include investment, research, finance and portfolio management.
Major real estate advisory firms visit the Business School and present to our students. Many of the large investment houses, management consultants and other businesses based within the City make similar presentations to students across the School.
MSc in Real Estate Investment Employability
Our Graduate Destination Survey (pdf) of last year's MSc in Real Estate Investment cohort shows that 71% of graduates are now in work.*
Some examples of where graduates from the 2010/11 MSc in Real Estate Investment are working are:
- Jones Lang LaSalle - Strategic Consulting - Global Performance Manager
- IPD - Portfolio Analysis Services - Data Analyst
- Standard Life Investment - Real Estate - Graduate Portfolio Manager
- The Royal Bank of Scotland - Corporate Coverage Germany - Analyst
- Savills PLC - Research - Analyst
*Based on 2012 survey respondents
'The knowledge I gained on the MSc in Real Estate Investment has allowed me to move into advising banks and investors on funding structures for development finance as I gained insights into the mechanics and risks of investment finance. Modules in finance and funding, real estate development and real estate investment provided a solid matrix of knowledge which allowed me to provide additional insights in my working environment and provided to my employer value added skills.'
Corry Bourke, MSc in Real Estate Investment.
Now working as an Associate Director for Davis Langdon LLP