Student Intranet


Where can I get careers advice?

Cass Careers offer a range of workshops, careers advice and online resources. The Cass Careers Centre is situated on the ground floor next to the Cafe. Visit careers, email cass-emba-careers@city.ac.uk or casscareersonline@city.ac.uk or phone +44(0)20 7040 5255 to find out more.

How is group coursework assessed?

Where Coursework Assessment is by Group Coursework, this will be marked according to the modules assessment framework and may include some element of Peer Assessment. If you have any questions please contact your lecturer.

Can I get help with my CV?

You can sign up to attend CV workshops on Cass Careers Online. You can then get further advice on CVs and cover letters from the MBA Careers team.

Do I have to go to all my induction sessions?

The induction programme has been developed with you, the student in mind, all of the sessions are chosen to provide you will all the information you may need throughout your studies. It is essential that you attend all induction sessions to ensure you are able to make full use of the services provided to you

How do I log on to wifi?

Instructions for connecting to the citywifi are provided by IT Support.

Instructions are available as guides, which you can download depending on your operating system.

Find out more from IT Support

How do I submit coursework online?

To submit coursework online you must go to your virtual learning environment, Moodle. For group coursework, only one member of the group needs to submit. Go to the relevant module page and upload your document(s) where indicated. For further guidance on using Moodle please call the IT desk on 0207 040 8181.

How can I get help if I cannot log in?

If you are having difficulties accessing the IT facilities, please contact the IT Helpdesk. You can visit them in person in the Library / Learning Resource Centre on the 1st floor at Bunhill Row, email cass-student-support@city.ac.uk or telephone 0207 040 8181

What do I do if I lose my student card?

If you lose your student ID card you will need to replace this as soon as possible. Please go to the Security Office which is located behind the main Reception desk on the ground floor, who will issue you with a replacement card at a charge of £10.

Can I go to the Course Office outside opening hours?

The Course Office opening hours are as follows:

Monday to Friday: 9:00 - 17:00 (106 Bunhill Row)

Monday to Thursday: 9.00 - 19.00 (200 Aldersgate)

Fridays: 9:00 - 17:00 (200 Aldersgate)

Should you need to contact your Course Officer outside of these hours, please email them or call them directly. You can find their contact details on your MBA home page on Moodle.

How can I contact a lecturer or Course Director?

Please refer to your course handbook where you will find their contact details. This is located on your MBA home page on Moodle. Your lecturer, personal tutor or Course Director may also have office hours. Please refer to your handbook or to Moodle for further information.

Is there any help if I get into financial difficulties?

The Student Centre has specialist staff that can advise on funding options available to current and prospective students at the University. We administer the City University Bursary, general University scholarships, Access to Learning Fund as well as provide advice and guidance on a range of funding matters such as student support, NHS bursaries, money management and alternative funding options. Contact the Student Centre about the range of support available from student loans and grants to bursaries and scholarships or make an appointment to discuss your situation with an adviser.

Student Centre:
T: 0207 040 7040
E: fundsservice@city.ac.uk

How do I buy print credits?

You can buy print credits at the Library or IT Helpdesk counters in the Learning Resource Centre (Library).

How do I find a project supervisor?

Following the submission of your Business Mastery Project proposal you will be allocated a supervisor, based on your chosen topic and the type of project you wish to complete (for full details, please see your BMP Handbook/Stage 2 Handbook).

What is a Business Mastery Project?

A Business Mastery Project (dissertation) is a significant piece of work, undertaken by students on a topic of their choice in the final stages of their course. It is the student's responsibility to select an appropriate topic and develop the design of their project. The Project should be 15,000 words in length and should be produced with the support of a Project Supervisor. For a full outline and breakdown of the indicative content which is expected of a BMP on your course, please refer to your BMP Handbook, which can be found on Moodle.

How can the Course Office support me?

The Course Office supports students in a variety of ways including the provision of course materials and text books, the processing of submitted course work, and the release of assessments and results. The Course Office team can also provide advice on general areas relating to your studies and help by advising you where to seek further information and support in specific areas. Each course has a dedicated Course Officer, based in the Course Office, who can help you with enquiries specific to your course. For details of your Course Officer please see your Course Handbook on Moodle.

How can I give feedback on my course?

Student feedback is very important to the University, and can be provided in a number of ways. At the end of each module you will be asked to complete a Module Evaluation for each module, a simple process which is conducted online. Your lecturer will not see your name and your comments will not affect your marks in any way. The information gathered is compiled into general module reports which are fed back to lecturers, Course Directors and managers in order to improve the quality of the teaching and content of the modules year on year. Throughout the year, Student Representatives for your course have termly meetings with your Course Director and Course Officer to feed back any issues raised by you and your colleagues. By engaging in all of these processes, you provide us with vital feedback which enables us to continually improve the courses and the student experience in general.

How do I extend my visa?

If you are attending classes as a current student you can apply for an extension to your Student Visa by going to the 'For Prospective Students - Apply' pages of the Cass website and requesting a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies). For full details of the process of applying for a visa extension see the Student Centre pages on the City website.

If you have finished attending classes and need a visa for exam attendance only, you can apply for a Student Visitor Visa using a supporting letter from Cass; to request one please contact your Course Officer.

What happens if my visa expires before I re-sit an exam?

If you have finished attending classes and need a visa for exam attendance only, you can apply for a Student Visitor Visa using a supporting letter from Cass; to request one please contact your Course Officer.

What kind of calculator can I use in an exam?

Only University approved calculator models are allowed for use in Invigilated Tests and Examinations. The approved models are as follows;

  • Casio FX-83 GT+
  • Casio FX-85 GT+
  • Casio FX-83 MS
  • Casio FX-83 ES
  • Casio FX-85 MS
  • Casio FX-85 ES

Please note that any other calculator models will not be allowed for use in tests or examinations and will be confiscated.

Can I get an extra copy of my results transcript?

Yes. Students can request copies of both their interim transcripts (prior to completion) and final transcripts (after award). Transcripts requested before Graduation are free; after Graduation a small fee of £10. Please contact the Course Office if you wish to make a request.

When do I get my graduation certificate?

Upon successful completion and award of the MBA degree, students are presented with their Graduation Certificate at the Graduation Ceremony. If students are unavailable to attend Graduation they will be issued their Certificate by post. Please contact the Registry Department for further information Registry@city.ac.uk

How do I pay my fees instalments?

You can pay your fee instalments by Direct Debit or Bank Transfer. For further details on methods of payments, please see the Student Centre webpages.

How do I get a receipt for fees paid? To request a receipt of fees paid, please contact the Deputy Income Manager, Joanne Dixey at Joanne.Dixey.1@city.ac.uk

When will I graduate?

Upon successful completion of your studies, students are confirmed as successfully completing the course, and awarded the degree, at the Final Assessment Board. Final transcripts are subsequently released. All students who have been successfully awarded the degree by the Assessment Board will then be invited to attend the next Graduation ceremony. If you would like more details please contact your Course Officer of for further information about Graduation.

When can I register for my electives?

Elective selection is completed online and you will be sent further information about the modules available, and instructions on how to register, by the Course Office.

How do I stay in touch with the School after getting my degree and become a Cass alumnus?

Cass Students or Graduates can join the Cass Alumni Network free of charge. For information about the benefits and services available to you, and to become a member please visit the Cass Alumni Community.

Can I continue using my Cass email after I have graduated?

You will continue to have access to your Cass email account for life after your graduation.

Can I carry on using the library after I have finished my degree?

Registered Alumni can have use of the library for reference use. In addition to this alumni have access to a number of different databases. For full information, and details on how to become a member of the Cass Alumni Network please visit the Cass Alumni Community.

How do I book a syndicate room?

Student syndicate rooms are available for student use, and should be booked in advance. You may book rooms up to one week in advance. Please note that block bookings are restricted. Bookings should be made online.

Can I send or receive personal post at Cass?

You can send stamped post via the postbox adjacent to the cash payment machine on the ground floor; however, please note that unstamped post cannot be accepted and will be discarded. We do not have the facilities to process post for students, so this cannot be received.

I would like a business card. How do I get one?

You will be provided with details about Business Cards at your induction. If you have any questions please contact your Course Officer.

When do I get my exam results?

Following each exam period an Assessment Board meeting takes place for each course, at which marks for the students on that course are confirmed. The Assessment Board meetings are timed to allow marking, second-marking and moderation (checking) of exam scripts following the exam period. After the Board has confirmed these marks the results are released to students in the form of a transcript, normally within about 14 days. You will receive an email from your Course Officer to tell you when to collect your results or arrange for them to be posted to you.

What can I do if I think an exam or coursework mark is not fair?

If you are unhappy about a grade there are two formal procedures you can follow: 1) to request a clerical check of the paper or 2) to submit an appeal against the Assessment Board decision. These processes are carried out independently of the Course Office by the Academic Quality & Standards team. For guidelines to their processes and for details of how to apply for either of the above please review your Student or Course Handbook.

What do I do if I am ill and am unable to sit an exam or submit coursework?

If you are unable to attend an assessment or submit a piece of work, due to ill heath or severe personal circumstances, you must complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form and submit it to your Course Officer with accompanying medical or other evidence within one week of the assessment date. For guidance please speak to your Course Officer or see your Student/Course Handbook.

What do I do if I have a job interview and cannot attend an assessment or submit coursework on time?

Extenuating Circumstances are considered at the next meeting of the Assessment Board and decisions are based on the evidence presented. For further information about what are deemed as acceptable extenuating circumstances please refer to the Student/Course Handbook. If you have any questions please speak to your Course Officer.

Can I sit an exam in my home country?

No. Students are expected to be available for all examination and test periods, including the re-sit periods held during the summer months.