Charity Investment course
After our successful one-day 'taster' version of our Charity Investment Course, we will now be running a full 6-day course beginning in April 2017.
The UK charity sector is enormously diverse by scale, by purpose and by organisational structure. However, one common feature shared by all charities is a desire to make the most of their resources.
This includes ensuring that the financial assets are invested to meet the needs of the charity, whether as a reserve to cover potential liabilities or as a source of return generation.
Most charities in the UK have small investment portfolios and are well served by the various charity specific pooled fund options currently available. However, charities with larger portfolios - from perhaps £10m upwards - have scope to adopt more tailored investment approaches, but they can find it difficult to gain access to impartial advice and guidance on a cost effective basis. The largest charity funds may have sufficient scale to justify paying fees to investment consultants for bespoke advice.
But many charities do not and instead rely heavily on their fund managers for all their investment requirements, which can make it difficult to assess performance objectively or to consider different approaches.
The Cass CCE Charity Investment Course addresses these issues and has been designed to provide charity trustees and finance staff with the tools they need to make these objective assessments and consider better approaches.
The course will cover the following key areas
- Setting investment objectives suitable to the charity's needs
- Establishing an investment strategy to meet these objectives
- The governance structure required to enable tactical decisions to be taken around this strategy
- Understanding investment risk and its relevance to your charity
- Selecting managers to implement your strategy
- Measuring success and monitoring progress
If you have any questions please contact CassCCE@city.ac.uk
Rathbones has been in business since 1742. Looking forward has carried us and our clients
safely through many eras. We continue to move with the times, blending new ideas and the
latest technology with our long-standing investment experience and constant values. We
are one of the leading investment managers for charities and not-for-profit organisations
in the UK. We have £4.1* billion in funds under management for more than 1,000 charities,
in portfolios that range from £10,000 to more than £100 million. To find out more about our
investment services for charities, visit rathbones.com/charities
* As at 31 December 2016
UBS has specialised in wealth management for more than 150 years. Today, in the UK we
deliver a complete wealth management service from our offices across the country. We also
have a dedicated team of investment specialists who advise charities and who work closely
with experts from our investment banking and asset management businesses, giving our
clients access to the latest research and industry-leading investment solutions. For more
information, visit www.ubs.com/charities-uk
Progamme Dates 2017
If you are interested in the programme, please register your interest using the red button on the right of this page and pencil in the dates below- we will be in touch with further details about the programme in due course.
Day 1 & 2:
- Wednesday 26 April 2017
- Thursday 27 April 2017
Day 3 & 4:
- Wednesday 24 May 2017
- Thursday 25 May 2017
Day 5 & 6:
- Wednesday 21 June 2017
- Thursday 22 June 2017
The course is intended for Trustees and finance staff with existing investment knowledge or Investment Committee experience. They will normally be entrusted with the stewardship of charity investment portfolios with investible assets of £10m or more.
- Please complete the application form, see the red button on the right of the page.
- If you submit an application all participants wishing to attend will be subject to approval by a Selection Committee including Prof Paul Palmer and John Harrison. Our sponsors will be consulted if any applications are received from potential participants who are employed by competitor firms.
- Upon being approved by the Selection Committee, applicants will then need to complete a short booking confirmation form to secure their place.
If you have any questions during the process, please contact us.