Marketing Strategy and Innovation
- Course content
- Teaching staff
- Entry requirements
- Tuition fees and term dates
- Career opportunities
- News and events
You are keen on a career in marketing? Whether you are a fresh graduate or have gained some work experience already, the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation is the course for you to acquire the most up-to-date knowledge and skills for starting a career as a marketing strategist, brand manager, innovation manager, or key account manager in a leading global firm. Or you can work as a marketing consultant or advertising creative. If you are considering starting your own business, our MSc in Marketing Strategy and Innovation provides you with the knowledge and skills to promote your product or service professionally.
Your fellow students will be smart and motivated people from around the world, with graduate degrees in arts, business, engineering, humanities, medicine, etc. – with and without some marketing experience. During your time together, you will learn what it needs to become leading marketers who skillfully analyse customers, markets, and social trends, invent new and manage existing brands, run on and offline media campaigns, and thus leverage the success of commercial and non-commercial organizations. When it comes to move on after the year at Cass, the credibility of you having a degree from our world-leading business school will be a powerful drop of fuel to get your career started.
What makes a Great Marketer?
Facts and figures
Why Marketing Strategy & Innovation?
There are many great products and services out there. But if potential buyers do not know about them, these offerings will not be bought. Wouldn’t you agree that the most successful companies are those who create products that customers love, and create awareness about them? Would you like to be able to get people excited about the products, services, or ideas that you want to promote?
If you answer yes to the above questions, you have understand the importance of marketing and innovation. You understand that the marketers and innovators are those who create new products, services, and ideas, get people excited about them, and thus help to fulfill customer needs from having something healthy to eat, through outfitting their homes, to giving to a cause and finding a partner online.
And its not just about products or services. It is also about you! When you are in the lookout for a job, you become a product in the job market. And when you are searching for a person to spend you life with, you are competing in a dating market.
So, aren’t you a marketer already, somehow? Managing yourself as a brand indeed requires some marekting skill, but managing brands in professional organizations like Apple, AirBnB, or Amazon requires a set of very specific skills and expert knowledge that you can most efficiently acquire from experts. Join us at Cass Business School for the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation and that’s what you’ll get!
Is this course right for you?
You hold a bachelor degree from fields such as arts, business, medicine, music, sociology, or even rocket science with none or only a few marketing modules? Whether you want to steer your career into marketing, start your own business, take over your family’s company, or just learn more about how to innovate new products and services and create buzz and excitement around them, this course is right for you.
Students who enroll in this program are from all around the world, typically in their 20s, and have the ability to lead high level conversations in English language. If you are excited to make friends with other brilliant individuals that are keen to learn more about marketing, and if you are a pro-active, curious, creative person, this course is definitely for you.
However, this course is NOT right for you if you have already studied an undergraduate course with a marketing specialisation, or are looking for a degree that deepens your advanced marketing knowledge with a specialised course. In these cases, our MBA programs may be more suitable for you.
Is Cass Business School the right school for you?
There are five elements to think about when choosing your business school:
- The reputation of the institution: A school with a good reputation gives you the best career opportunities and gets you access to an exclusive network of high-achieving graduates. Cass ranks among a group of only 1% of all business schools worldwide with triple accreditation from AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. It gives you the opportunity to achieve something extraordinary.
- The reputation of the people you will be learning from: This is important because when you learn from the best, you can become the best. At Cass you will learn from lecturers who not only produce world-class research, but who have also worked for some of the best companies in the world. In addition, you will get lots of opportunities to learn from marketers that visit our classrooms from companies such as Barclays, Colgate, Interbrand, Pepsi, Unilever, Visa, and many more.
- The course content: If you study the right and most up-to-date subjects at University, you will get yourself a head start in making a career in marketing. When studying our MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation, you’ll be exposed to the foundations of marketing and the right strategies that work in today’s economy. You will directly apply what you have learned in class to real marketing problems. So when you graduate you will be able to contribute right away to important marketing projects, or you can do your own publicity and promotion and get people excited about your product or cause.
- Proximity. Being close to potential future employers can accelerate your career. Being close to where things happen gives you an idea of what’s coming next. Cass is located on the doorstep of the City of London, one of the most exciting and dynamic cities in the world. This location offers you access to the great players in the financial industry, leading consumer goods companies, the hottest IT start-ups, and many other thriving businesses. So, when you will have finished the course, you will already have built your own network of contacts that you can draw upon to help with your job search.
- Your employability. Your reputation as a “product” is key to propel you to the right job. Having studied the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation at Cass adds a powerful line to your CV. The great majority of our MSc graduates get the job they want within 6 months of graduation.
Because of these five (and many other) good reasons, Cass attracts high caliber students from across the world. And we invite you to become part of the Cass community!
Ok, this is right for me! But what do I study?
The MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation is about marketing AND innovation. So when you graduate you know how to INNOVATE with new products, services and ideas, and you will know how to best position these offerings in the market of your choice, and to create excitement among the right customers. Becoming a marketing STRATEGIST means that you won’t spend much time using Photoshop and designing ads or brochures, but spend most of your time analyzing markets, understanding customers and competitors, and creating the strategies behind innovative products and advertisements.
The MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation course provides you with a sound understanding of the principles and state-of-the art practices of marketing, including:
- Creativity, Innovation and Design
- Brand Management
- Digital Marketing and Social Media
- Segmentation and Targeting
- Market and Consumer Research
These concepts are brought to life through interactive lectures and case discussions with world-class academics, and guest lectures from leading London companies. For example, in term one you will work on a marketing plan for the introduction of a new product in the UK. In term two, you will undertake an integrated innovation project, putting your business idea out there and to the test. You will also play a marketing strategy simulation game that will enable you to see how all the different marketing decision you would have to take as a marketing manager play out in a competitive environment.
Because marketing is changing so quickly, you’ll always find new materials and extra-curricular activities that ensure you are equipped with the most recent knowledge and tools. This year, for example, we ran our first Fashion Brand Management elective and staged a two day video filming and cutting workshop.
Find out more
We hold a number of on-campus Information Sessions each year. The next session will be in the autumn of 2016. The date will be published here as soon as it is set.
If you would like to arrange an individual appointment to discuss this course or have any questions please email Mrs Mahshid Fazaeli
Marketing is a fast moving field. Therefore, the skills and knowledge that you will acquire on the MSc in Marketing Strategy and Innovation course are continuously updated to include the latest theoretical developments (some of them authored by our very own lecturers) and the newest practical developments.
Consequently, there will be changes to the content and titles of the modules below. Electives are also frequently added or deleted (if they have become obsolete). Some electives in term three provide opportunities to study abroad.
The teaching staff on the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation programme have many years of practical experience working in industry and are also active researchers in their fields
This knowledge and experience inform the highly interactive lectures that make up the MSc in Marketing, Strategy & Innovation and are one of the key highlights programme.
- Dr Marius Luedicke (Course Director)
- Dr Tom van Laer (Admissions Tutor)
- Professor Caroline Wiertz
- Dr Stephanie Feiereisen
- Dr Jonathan Luffarelli
- Professor Fleura Bardhi
- Dr Irene Scopelliti
Marketing Faculty's Research
As a student on the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation at Cass you'll be taught by a very research intensive group of academics.Keep up to date with what is going on through the Marketing at Cass facebook page.
You can check out the latest research that faculty are working through the following links:
- George Balabanis
- Ko De Ruyter - Helps organizations to enable, nudge, gamify, analyse, generate (buzz) and execute
- Vincent Mitchell - Researches marketplace problems for consumers such as; confusion, risk, ethics and confinement. Judges for the UK's most prestigious Marketing Awards
- Caroline Wiertz - Advises entrepreneurs, marketing agencies, and charities on marketing strategy; leads City University's entrepreneurship activities; and invests a little bit herself as a Business Angel. Studies how social media change the way consumers collaborate, share word of mouth, and engage with advertising.
- Fleura Bardhi
- Marius Luedicke - Studies causes of social conflict between consumers and helps corporates and start-ups build iconic brands.
- Ammara Mahmood - Studies the influence of social networks on online content consumption and develops models of strategic interaction between firms to understand the implications of customer recognition in competitive markets.
- Stephanie Feiereisen - Uses a mix of research methods including experiments and in-depth interviews to study media consumption and consumer responses to new products.
- Irene Scopelliti - Studies causes and consequences of decision making mistakes.
- Jonathan Luffarelli - Studies the effects of brand aesthetics, brand personality, and corporate social responsibility on brand equity through experimental studies and the analysis of large secondary datasets.
- Sven Molner
Marketing Faculty on Twitter
Many of our marketing academics are also active on Twitter:
Marketing Faculty in Action
Some of the teaching staff on the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation have taken part in recent editions of Cass Talks TedX talks and City Perspectives. These provide you with additional insight into marketing trends and theory.
Dr Irene Scopelliti on TedX on 'Why do people brag?'
Professor Caroline Wiertz explains why the Twitter effect is no Hollywood myth
Dr Marius Luedicke on Marketing to the relational consumer - from market orientation to culture orientation
Documents required for decision-making
- Transcript/interim transcript
- Current module list if still studying
- Personal statement (500-600 words)
Documents which may follow at a later date
- IELTS result, if report available
- Two references
- Work experience is not a requirement of this course
- For a successful application to receive an unconditional status all documents must be verified, so an original or certified copy of the degree transcript must be sent by post to Specialist Masters Programme Office, 106 Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8TZ, UK
We cannot comment on individual eligibility before you apply and we can only process your application once it is fully complete, with all requested information received.
The entry requirements for the MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation are as follows:
- Designed as a conversion course for people with no or little marketing education and experience
- If you have taken 0-3 basic marketing courses in prior study programmes this new MSc programme is right for you. If you have worked in junior marketing positions, taking this course will help you move ahead.
- If you have, however, specialised in marketing in prior studies, or worked in strategic marketing positions for more than three years, our MBA programme will be the better fit for you.
- The MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation is not a highly quantitative programme and is open to graduates from a variety of disciplines but candidates are expected to be familiar with a basic knowledge of maths before the start of the programme.
- A UK 2.1 honours or above, or the equivalent from an overseas institution
- We accept applications from all academic backgrounds
Applicants will need to submit two references, one of which MUST be an academic reference.
Applicants selected by the Admissions panel will be invited to take an online interview. We will contact all selected applicants with full instructions after the Admissions Panel has made an initial assessment of your application.
- If you have been studying in the UK for the last three years it is unlikely that you will have to take the test
- If you have studied a 2+2 degree with just two years in the UK you will be required to provide IELTS results and possibly to resit the tests to meet our requirements.
The required IELTS level is an average of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in all elements.
Please note that due to changes in the UKVI's list of SELTs we are no longer able to accept TOEFL as evidence of English language for students who require a CAS as of April 2014.
No work experience is required for this Masters as it is designed for students just beginning their careers. If you have work experience you can include details on your CV, which is required with all applications.
Tuition fees and term dates
Tuition fees 2016/7
- Application fee: Nil
- Tuition fees: £23,000 Currency Converter
- Deposit: £2,000 (paid within 1 month of receiving offer and non-refundable unless conditions of offer are not met)
First instalment: Half fees less deposit (to be paid at registration)
Second instalment: Half fees (paid in January following start of programme)
Term dates 2016/7
In-Person Registration (all students must attend): Commences 12 September 2016
Compulsory Induction: 12 - 23 September 2016
26 September 2016 - 9 December 2016
Term I exams
9 January 2017 - 20 January 2017
23 January 2017 - 31st March 2017
Term II exams
24 April 2017 - 5 May 2017
8 May 2017 - 23 June 2017
Term III exams
26 June 2017 - 7 July 2017
Submission deadline for Business Research Project
1 September 2017
Official Course End Date
30 September 2017
The MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation was launched in September 2014. We are committed to creating not only excellent marketers, but also responsible leaders, and this ethos pervades the MSc in Marketing Strategy and Innovation. Exploring topics such as Corporate Social Responsibility gives students an 'outside in' perspective, enabling them to reflect on the wider social implications of marketing decisions and adapt quickly to the tone and tempo of modern business.
Typical Industries for graduates include:
- Agency (Marketing, Advertising, Digital, Media)
- Media & Entertainment
- Design/Luxury Goods
Typical graduate job profiles:
- Account executive/manager
- Brand manager
- Product manager
- Campaign manager
- Junior or Senior Planner
- Assistant or Associate Consultant
- Starcom MediaVest
- Brand Union
Cass Business School has an illustrious reputation for providing fantastic employees. The wide variety of roles and industries are a further testament to the experience you will gain by studying the postgraduate Marketing course.
News and events
Situated right in the City, Cass Business School is one of the most vibrant places for studying marketing and innovation. The school is well connected to both the start-up scene of Tech City (Old Street) and the finance-focussed City of London (Moorgate), which are both only a short walk away. There is always a lot going on.
Follow us in real time:
Watch the films below to get a sense of how the marketing faculty make use of this location to interact with international corporations, the technology cluster and with a wide range of start-up entrepreneurs, to enhance both your learning experience and career opportunities.
CitySpark Grand Final 2016
Buenos Aires, Start-ups elective
Students in the 2015/16 cohort had the option to undertake an elective in Buenos Aires working with entrepreneurs in the creative industies on the Start-ups elective.
Innovathon with Colgate-Palmolive
The MSc in Marketing Strategy & Innovation students of 2015/16 had the opportunity to get some real practical marketing experience, working with Colgate over a one and a half day Innovathon.
City Unrulyversity, founded by Cass marketing faculty in partnership with Unruly, is a free pop-up university in the heart of Tech City. City Unrulyversity's mission is to inform, inspire, and empower the next generation of Tech City entrepreneurs. It pops up every Wednesday from 6-8 PM at Unruly HQ, just off Brick Lane. See what's coming up next, and sign up, on Twitter @Cityunruly
We're on a mission to inspire the next generation of entrepreneurial talent at City University London and make it the UK's best place for kick-ass student starters.
How? It's simple, we organise extra-curricular events, competitions, business support services, and this website, for budding student and graduate entrepreneurs. If you've got a great idea, but don’t know where to turn or what to do next, we're here to help!